X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesdaman
    • Apr 2008

Room size 15x15

Hi, i need some help. My room is 15 x 15 i currently have some 683 and im loosing bass and detail due to the room. The main thing im loosing is bass, ive been told to look at getting bookshelfs with a sub. Does that sound like the right thing to do or should i go for a differnt type of floorstander. Ive been told to look at the PMC fb1i, any thoughts?
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

One of my system rooms is 16x15.5 which is pretty similar to your dimensions and bass is not a problem there. The issues are, of course, placement of the speakers and the listener and room acoustics. If you can provide more detailed information about your setup, perhaps we can suggest something.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jamesdaman
      • Apr 2008

ive got quad 909 quad 99 pre cyrus cd8se and psx-r , the room is my bedroom so ive got a single bed in there and normal be bedroom stuff inc a sofa (soon to be replaced with a 3 seater leather sofa). Im basicly not overly happy with the speakers anymore i dont think. People who listen to the system say the music is all on top of you and the bass seems lost. I dont often listen to it much now as i dont hear what i want to. Im demoing an isotek orion which has added some beef to the sound which is really good but i think the real problem now is the speakers.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Useless information. Diagram of the room and contents. BTW, leather sofas are acoustically lousy (technical term).
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• jamesdaman
          • Apr 2008

o right so what kind of sofa should i be looking at?? And how can i show a diagram of the room??

Comment

• jamesdaman
            • Apr 2008

my room, sorta lol
            Attached Files

Comment

• sunshdw
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jamesdaman
              People who listen to the system say the music is all on top of you and the bass seems lost. I dont often listen to it much now as i dont hear what i want to. Im demoing an isotek orion which has added some beef to the sound which is really good but i think the real problem now is the speakers.
              Very odd.....I absolutly love my 683's and they get raves from friends and listeners
              Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• jamesdaman
                • Apr 2008

Im sure in the right enviroment they are cracking speakers, but im not sure they are right in mine sadly

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                  Hi, i need some help. My room is 15 x 15 i currently have some 683 and im loosing bass and detail due to the room. The main thing im loosing is bass, ive been told to look at getting bookshelfs with a sub. Does that sound like the right thing to do or should i go for a differnt type of floorstander. Ive been told to look at the PMC fb1i, any thoughts?
                  Lots of soft squigy furnishing is going to absorb the bass, but there's not much you can do about that. What amp are you using? Perhaps its simply too weak and not driving the speakers well at the lower frequencies.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                    Lots of soft squigy furnishing is going to absorb the bass, but there's not much you can do about that.
                    Of course, that is advantageous in almost every room. :W Otherwise, room modes will dominate the direct response from the speakers.

Perceived bass response is mainly dependent on the speakers (yours are fine), their placement in the room, your placement in the room and the room's construction.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

You say your room is 15x15 but your diagram makes is look longer one way than the other? The bass on my 683's was jammin'... Rap and Hip' Hop included. No EQ or bass boost needed. I only started using a separate sub to to mainly have the absolute best of both worlds - sub placed for best and smoothest performance and mains placed for absolute best imaging. But still, if I didn't mind loosing a little midrange detail and imaging the bass on the 683 alone was plenty enough for me, even for bassy music like Rap and Hip' Hop. And this is coming from someone who used to own 15" 400 watt 102dB 1w/1m Cerwin Vega's, hehe (I've measured 125dB from those speakers with a Radioshack SPL meter, lol). :T

The 683 will have a nice full sound that will work well with most all types of music without a sub when setup properly. Something other than the speakers is at fault unless you're one of those car bass boomers that's into having three 18 inch subs, every bass note is the same tone, blasts that tone at over 130dB, and no mids or highs what so ever, lol. :lol:

Comment

• emig5m
                        • Aug 2008

Looking at how close your sofa is to your rear wall, from my experience, your bass should be overly booming out of control if anything... hmm..

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I know its embarrassing to ask, but have you checked your speakers are connected in phase?
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                            Of course, that is advantageous in almost every room. :W Otherwise, room modes will dominate the direct response from the speakers.
                            Kal
                            ... which is what happens in my living room, but I just can't talk the wife into allowing all kinds of acoustic panel treatments
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                              ... which is what happens in my living room, but I just can't talk the wife into allowing all kinds of acoustic panel treatments
                              I let my wife pick sizes and colors. Or, mebbe, she has given up fighting me after all these years.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• BassThatHz
                                • Jul 2006

What do you mean you're loosing bass? (You had bass and now it is gone?)

Move the equipment into the largest room in the house (or outside).
                                If the problems follow, then the problem isn't the room.
                                Swap out the speakers or electronics, and see if the problem follows...

What songs are you listening to, perhaps it doesn't have much bass to start with.

Can you upload a youtube video so that I can hear it with my own ears?
                                Its very hard to guess at your problem, without hearing it for myself.

As a reference point, here is a video I made of my system playing a decently bass-heavy pop song, that I recorded a month ago:
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Maybe the B&W sound is just not for you...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"