X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vfrjim
    • Apr 2003

Oppinion about subwoofer

I have two of these (RFA-124's) http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/libra...124_128-ts.pdfhanging around and would like to hear some comments if these would make a good sub and in your oppinion, do you think that it would have a good "low end" punch. Also, what amp would you use to drive them and what type of enclosure would work well? ANY and ALL oppinions are appreciated, the key thing is that they are free to me since I have had them hanging around anyways and I do not need a crossover, my pre/pro and bass management unit takes care of that for me, I would just need a amp.

Jim
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hard to say, in general car audio woofers aren't all that impressive for home use

It's interesting that they fail to provide the Xmax, which is a fairly important parameter

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Xmax is listed as 9.3mm so two of them should move some air although nowhere near what good "home" drivers will move. With a Vas of 260 liters, they are going to need really big enclosures though. Whether they are worth the work of building enclosures for them, and the space they take up in the room, is up to you. Personally, if I were going to all that work, I'd want to use drivers that move more air. But, if money is really tight, you could put them in some big sonotubes and have decent sound pretty cheap as long as you don't turn them up too loud.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Plugging the numbers into ISD online, I get an "optimum" vented enclosure of 131 liters (about 5 cubic feet) tuned to 22 Hz with a 4" diameter port about 11.75" long. So they aren't so terribly big after all.

If you don't have any design software, ISD online is a quick and easy way to experiment with different box tunings.

Comment

• vfrjim
          • Apr 2003

As you can tell by the subs, I use to be into car audio and these subs were not a typical "boomer" sub, they were used for strong, clean bass. So, would a vented type enclosure be recommended or would others such as a "bandpass" or I remember other type of enclosures that use to be popular in a push-pull configuration. Anybody have links on the pros and cons of different types of enclosures?

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"