X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Are B&W 800s good HT speakers?

I used to be a frequent visitor to this part of the forum and a big fan of B&W speakers. I used to own a set of 704s and HTM7 for fronts, and a DM 600 as surrounds. After owning the set for a about a year, I decided to turn the system into a pure HT system, and sold them for a set of Klipsch speakers(I know, Klipsch is not in the same league as B&W, but they were really efficient for HT purposes.) Now I found myself looking back to B&W because the itch to upgrade is bringing me back to this part of the forum.

My question is, for those that have used different brands of speakers in the same room, such as B&W vs something else.... I know full well that B&W speakers are much more musical than Klipsch, but can B&W be good at movies also especially the 800 series?

I know I'd get a bit more biased opinion on this part of the forum by asking for your guys opinion on B&W, but at the same time I know there are a lot of people here that are really familiar with B&W's strengths, so please share them with me. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long question.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

BlazeMaster,

Welcome back. As to your question, it's a very good one. B&W 800 series are very good performers. Outstanding for 2 channel. I've found that B&W's midrange is what really set it apart. The 800 series does everything well, especially when driven with excellent electronics.

Are they good for HT? Absolutely. I am biased, as I have an 800 series setup in a dedicated HT room. 802D's and HTM2D up front and 804S's in the rears. They sound so BIG, detailed, with excellent bass response. I have a Blu Ray, so my system has uncompressed audio. This format over the 800 series is amazing.

I do listen to 2 channel, it's hard to resist those 802D's. But a great two channel system is the foundation of a great HT system.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Oddiophile
      • Jul 2008

I concur with htsteve. I have a similar setup (802D, HTM1D, N802, 805s, and 2X ASW 855 subs and it is fantastic for music and equally good for home theatre. I think that virtually any system that is good for music will be good for home theatre. The only thing I can think of is that a person should probably make sure that they have at least one subwoofer for home theatre.

Jim

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

I am in the camp that believes there is no such thing as a speaker good for music, but not as good for HT or visa versa. B&Ws are great speakers, and IMO the best in many categories...full stop. HT, 2Ch, etc. I agree with the posters above that HT use requires a sub.

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Nolan B
          I am in the camp that believes there is no such thing as a speaker good for music, but not as good for HT or visa versa. B&Ws are great speakers, and IMO the best in many categories...full stop. HT, 2Ch, etc. I agree with the posters above that HT use requires a sub.
          My same thought. If a speaker is good, it's good.

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
          My question is, for those that have used different brands of speakers in the same room, such as B&W vs something else.... I know full well that B&W speakers are much more musical than Klipsch, but can B&W be good at movies also especially the 800 series?

I know I'd get a bit more biased opinion on this part of the forum by asking for your guys opinion on B&W, but at the same time I know there are a lot of people here that are really familiar with B&W's strengths, so please share them with me. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long question.
          I came from Cerwin Vega also very efficient like Klipsch. But the sound wasn't as natural and real sounding like B&W. That's the main thing... does a voice sound more like a real voice or does it sound colored (example: listening to someones voice on a cell phone doesn't exactly sound like it does in person - it doesn't reproduce the sound exactly like it really is). Sure the Vegas got deafening loud with minimal watts and they sure are a fun-factor speaker, but the B&W's will also play loud enough you can't hear your own voice with a nice amp...

Then the detail and the imaging. Do sounds sound like they're coming out of thin air? Does your 2-channel sound like it has a center playing? (my father was fooled and couldn't tell if my center was playing with just a well positioned set of 685's). Can you hear all those fine details like when listening to a good set of headphones? There's a lot to a speakers overall performance. Like what was said above, a good speaker is a good speaker and it shouldn't really matter what you use it for. My personal opinion is that HT is actually the easy thing to do. Are you really critically listening to the movie or are you also paying attention to the visuals. My opinion is music is the hardest thing to get right. You get music right and the rest will easily fall into place.

I think there's more speakers out there that will do a fine job for HT since I think most people wouldn't be as critical as a listener as they are for music. So are the 800 series good for HT? Not only are they, but even the 600 series is too! :T

Comment

• Hammie
            • Oct 2005

The imaging of my 804's and HTM3s is what puts a grin on my face every time I watch a blu or put on some great music.

The 800 Series is really excellent in all factors of audio.
            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

For the money there are better theater only speakers. Triad comes to mind. But as a double duty speaker, Not many even come close.

B&W speakers especially 800 series are some of the very best double duty speakers out there. Double duty meaning theater and 2 channel/multichannel music reproduction.

Now Klipsch also makes some the the very best sounding theater speakers but you have to have a ear for them for 2 channel / multichannel. Some love em , some hate them but for theater most will love them. Personally a THX reference Klipsch theater package will challenge anything in it's price class. Even the mighty 800 series at a few more dollars ok maybe a few more but when it comes to music, 800's are extremely hard to beat.

You must ask yourself first why you wanna upgrade. You seem to have a love for B&W , maybe it's time to have a 2nd system and build a really nice 2 channel 800 system.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

If I was building a dedicated theater room with a single purpose, I would probably choose one of the new CT models over the 800's, as they will conceal easier and provide excellent performance. If you want the best of both worlds, and can afford diamonds, then 802D and up are the way to go.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

-hi,
                  the B&W serie 800 in HT is very good but is too "to much".

If you go see the system HT from a lot of members in other forum they have
                  Klipsch or so like that... and a full HT system with B&W 800 i say yes is great, sound is very great (bass, detailed,....) BUT for a HT system is very necessary?

with others speakers, other brand or B&W but not serie 800 give you a good satisfaction!

is you go go made a 2 channel system, a pur stereo system the B&W 800 are very amazing. this is sure! but for a HT system I find that the other brand give you a good safisfactiion. and not only B&W: a great 2 channel system with speaker much more expensive vs. B&W give you a great system and satisfaction....

hey, I have too a serie 800 for my HT system and Classe as electronic!
                  but this is very necessary?
                  in a HT system with a others electronics and speakers you can have a very good satisfaction this is not a opinion but others forum with a lot of members
                  theywith a system very minus expensive are very satisfated and not for a "personal idea" but is a very effective reality!

in a pure 2 ch. stereo system the B&W800 or "bigger" make sure this difference vs. others stereo system... > the 2 ch. pure stereo is the Very Reality for a audiophile but the HT is only"squash" , only a modus the wsted money....

a HT that give you satifcaction you can go with $. 20000.- and aHT system made only with B&W 80, Classe or Mc , or ?? -> $. 50000.- don't give you so much like the money invested!
                  with a stereo system I agree 100% they (B&W, Classe,... / REAL HIGH END UNITS / make a very audible difference!

I dont say that my 803D, my SSP800 in HT dont pay but with a receiver from 1/3 from the price of the SSP give you a good HT system.

Style

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

Thanks everyone for your opinion. Even thought I no longer own B&W speakers at the moment, I will always have a love for B&W because it's the brand that got me into this hobby in the first place, ever since the first time I saw a picture of the famous Skywalker Ranch.

Style,
                    I know English is not your first language, but I think what you're trying to say is that B&W800s are some of the best speakers in the world, but they may be a bit too expensive for a pure HT system? Ironically, I think you answered my question the best even though it took me longer to try and understand what you're trying to say. Thanks.

Dmantis,
                    You evil man, haha. Now you got the idea of having a 2nd pure music system in my mind, and that actually seems like best thing to do. Why take away the strength of one system, when you can have a system for each of its purposes? One of my buddies knew of this audiophile buddy that literally had one system for different purposes. One for movies, and multiple systems for different genre of music that he listens to, and they all have their dedicated rooms. If only I was rich and live in a mansion, imagine how much fun I could have haha.

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                      Thanks everyone for your opinion. Even thought I no longer own B&W speakers at the moment, I will always have a love for B&W because it's the brand that got me into this hobby in the first place, ever since the first time I saw a picture of the famous Skywalker Ranch.

Style,
                      I know English is not your first language, but I think what you're trying to say is that B&W800s are some of the best speakers in the world, but they may be a bit too expensive for a pure HT system? Ironically, I think you answered my question the best even though it took me longer to try and understand what you're trying to say. Thanks.

Dmantis,
                      You evil man, haha. Now you got the idea of having a 2nd pure music system in my mind, and that actually seems like best thing to do. Why take away the strength of one system, when you can have a system for each of its purposes? One of my buddies knew of this audiophile buddy that literally had one system for different purposes. One for movies, and multiple systems for different genre of music that he listens to, and they all have their dedicated rooms. If only I was rich and live in a mansion, imagine how much fun I could have haha.
                      Sorry bro but I speak from experience. I have been chasing the double duty system all my Audio/video life. I have yet to find "the one". I got close a few times but, I will tell you a story.

It started many years ago , I wanted a system to pull double duty. But I had a budget and had to try to build a system within my means. I tried many different receivers,then separates, then higher end receivers then separates again , etc etc etc. I changed speaker after speakers trying to find "the one".

So I stopped all that maddness and went back to a nice solid receiver(Pioneer ELite SC-07) and found amazing theater speakers that can pull off nice music(Definitive Technolgy Mythos ST with 10's center and rears) and I'm happy for now. I don't think this system is as good as my last system for music but I increased my theater performance and thats exactly what I wanted to do.
                      I'm also a Audio/Video Installer/Programmer and been in the field for 10 years. I have seen so many different systems at all price levels from mild to extreme. I can honestly say I have yet to hear a system that does both extremely well. You gotta spend insane money to pull that off, I forgot to add in my extremely high standards. Once I started working with High end , got a really good taste , I lusted after it for years. I made it to Rotel and Dynaudio and found to improve the system for theater and music, I would have to spend more then my new truck(Nissan Pathfinder SE).
                      So I suggest you build 2 systems once for music and one for theater. Unless you got mad money and a room that can double duty, then by all means go for it man, I can help you build that system. If not buy the 800's for 2 channel and keep the Klipsch system for theater.

Good luck man.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"