X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

Introducing the B&W Zeppelin Mini (vid)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I wonder if it's cheaper? The USB DAC addition does make it more appealing (but I don't have an iPod, so I don't really care).
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• ray5
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by audioqueso
      I wonder if it's cheaper? The USB DAC addition does make it more appealing (but I don't have an iPod, so I don't really care).
      $399 US retail.

Comment

• gpo344
        • Feb 2007

It shows you that if you wait long enough things keep getting better and better. I want one.

Comment

• MikeFL52
          • Oct 2007

It would go nicely in the office. Somewhere to go when my wonderful wife wants to watch programs on the TV that I don't!!

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

$400. That's not bad actually. I'd buy one.... but that's just going on the fact that it's B&W so it should sound good. I've never actually heard one.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

Pretty cool!

I might just get one of these for the office. I've got an iPod touch, and this would be a perfect compliment to that.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I have a first gen zepplin. I hooked a sonos up to it. My wife and I love it. I don't know that I would ever use the video capability.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  I have a first gen zepplin. I hooked a sonos up to it. My wife and I love it. I don't know that I would ever use the video capability.
                  I have one too, use it in my office, great sound, so i am sure the mini sounds pretty good to. I love this stuff from B&W because it means more R&D money to be spent and better products down the road for all of us.
                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• 97disco
                    • Dec 2008

Just got the first generation (full size) Zepplin as a bonus through work and i love it!

Its sitting on my desk playing some great music right now.

Really impressive piece of equipment!
                    B&W 704's
                    B&W HTM7
                    B&W DS7's (rears)
                    B&W 850 Subwoofer
                    Rotel RSP 1066
                    Rotel RMB 1075
                    Rotel RDV-1060
                    B&W Zepplin

Comment

• KyaDawn
                      • Mar 2008

I'd consider this if I didn't already have the original Zeppelin which I'm listening to right now! Sounds amazing, I bring it outdoors during bbq's as well, it sounds great, way better than any "outdoor" speaker that I have personally heard. Would love to hear the Mini though!

Comment

• 97disco
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                        Would love to hear the Mini though!
                        I would like to hear it too. The biggest benefit seems to be the swivel for the ipod touch or the iphone.

I didnt get much work done today since playing with this thing. Its not perfect, but the best ipod dock I've heard.

Great Innovation B&W!
                        B&W 704's
                        B&W HTM7
                        B&W DS7's (rears)
                        B&W 850 Subwoofer
                        Rotel RSP 1066
                        Rotel RMB 1075
                        Rotel RDV-1060
                        B&W Zepplin

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                          • Sep 2009

I think the Mini is a solid addition. I've enjoyed the Zeppelin for 2 years and am actually listening to it right now with a Sonos ZP90 source. The Mini makes a lot of sense both form a lower priced option POV in combination with a smaller form factor.

It is interesting though that the Mini, while being a step down from the Zeppelin in a few areas, also introduces a few items that it's big brother does not have. The swiveling dock is a nice to have, but to me isn't essential. The lower frequency response on the Mini (-6dB at 47Hz and 22kHz for the Zeppelin and -6dB at 38Hz and 20kHz for the Mini) is attractive as is the bypassing of the iPod's internal DAC. The Mini can also stream audio from a computer over USB. Those things are likely a result of further R&D that didn't make it into the original. Over on B&W's blog entry for the Mini:

A round-up of all our latest blog posts. From A-Z, updates on our brand, music and tech happenings, how-to guides and handy hints, and the latest product stories.

folks have asked some questions in the comments and B&W reps have responded. One commenter asked:

"My question is, will they be reivsing the
                          Zeppelin (seems they have a new one)?

With less power, no sub or sep. twetters on the mini… Either way I am certain to buy this one, but B&W please announce
                          the new ‘Zeppelin’ if their is one!"

and the response:

"Dan: B&W says...
                          JSW

There isn’t a newer Zeppelin coming. We’ve made some incremental changes to the product around full iPhone compatibility though. From a performance perspective, the Zeppelin is much better sounding for the reasons you’ve noted.

We’ve yet to hear a better dock!

Dan"

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Zeppelin revision at some point, just not soon. Over the next 6 months we should also see headphones and computer speakers emerge from this newly named division of B&W (called New Media). Interesting stuff.

Jeff

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MM1-MZ1-P7
                            Headphones are you sure?
                            100% positive. This is not new news and I believe was first reported around the time of this year's CES, or perhaps earlier. I do have independent confirmation though so that's how I am so sure.

Jeff

Comment

• H.T.C
                              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko
                              Does the zepplin produce a good stereo soundstage or effect?
                              Robert

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                Does the zepplin produce a good stereo soundstage or effect?
                                The soundstaging from the Zeppelin is not all that great. Like any fixed distance stereo speaker system, the limitation of not being able to move the speakers have a direct impact on this aspect of sound reproduction. I don't think the Zeppelin does a poorer job of this than other docks - in fact I think it does a pretty good job making use of it's comparatively wide horizontal footprint. It's just something all one piece docks struggle with.

If that's an important element to you, I think you'll likely be disappointed by any dock that doesn't have detachable speakers. Of course, that's the whole sell of most speaker docks - compact, one piece units at affordable price points that will let you have a sound system anywhere once you add a source.

FYI, I've had a Zeppelin since launch in 2007 and love it for my intended use of it. I also will get a Zep Mini at launch. Of course, I have a floorstander 2-channel system for critical listening.

Jeff

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                  • Oct 2007

Zeppelin Mini Arrived

My Zeppelin Mini arrrived on Tuesday, but I was not allowed to open it till yesterday as it was a birthday present.

My initial impression is that it has very nice sound. Not as deep or wide as the original Zeppelin (my wife has one of these in her work office), but nevertheless still very good for what it is. You can drive it to pretty high volumes without any evidence of harshness. B&W does a very good job of form (making it an art piece) and this is no different in that respect, it looks very attractive sitting on the office desk. It is quite a bit smaller than the original Zeppelin and so does not take up as much desk space. The ipod/iphone mount appears to be robust and the ability to rotate an ipod touch or iphone is pretty cool

I have it in my home office attached via USB to my imac in replacement of the computer speakers that I had and it streams nicely from the mac using programs such as Plex and iTunes. Once it is hooked up to the computer, the remote controls the computer much as an apple remote does. It does have a few strange quirks that may be attributable to my set-up, for instance as soon as you dock an ipod or iphone the streaming from the computer stops and the zeppelin is no longer visible as a sound option in the imac set-up.

In conclusion I think it makes a great option for an office, kitchen, dining room or bedroom, for instance if you were having people over for dinner you might use it with the added bonus that it would be a definate talking point. However anyone who thinks it might replace a pair of B&W speakers or has the sound definition or staging of a pair of traditional speakers will be dissapointed (this is not a bose commercial!!). Is it better option than other iPod systems.... absolutely!!

Comment

• 97disco
                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                                    However anyone who thinks it might replace a pair of B&W speakers or has the sound definition or staging of a pair of traditional speakers will be dissapointed (this is not a bose commercial!!).
                                    :rofl:
                                    B&W 704's
                                    B&W HTM7
                                    B&W DS7's (rears)
                                    B&W 850 Subwoofer
                                    Rotel RSP 1066
                                    Rotel RMB 1075
                                    Rotel RDV-1060
                                    B&W Zepplin

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                      • Mar 2008

I heard the Mini for the first time the other day while I was at my B&W dealer and doing a side-by-side comparison there with the original Zeppelin (which I have at home), I can say it definitely does not have the fidelity or the power of the original. There is a lack of the thunderous bass that a properly set-up Zeppelin can offer, and also lacks the "hi-fi" element which I think the original Zeppelin brings to iPod docks. Not surprising as the original had 5 drivers including 2 tweeters and 2 mid-ranges, plus a woofer, while the Mini only has 2 3" "full-range" drivers. The sound difference is very apparent.

Overall, I think the Mini looks great and has some features that could be very useful for iPod fanatics that watch a lot of movies, YouTube or other video content on their iPod, or want a perfect data connection from their Mac/PC via USB when using it as computer speakers. But as just a iPod dock, I'm not sure that the Mini provides that much better sound quality than other docks offered by their competitors that are in the $250-$300 price range.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"