Additional Isolation for Center Speaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Additional Isolation for Center Speaker?

I'm looking for advice on whether I need to look into additional isolation other than the provided pads for my HTM3s?

As you can see in the below picture, it is sitting directly on top of my A/V cabinet. The cabinet has a glass inlaid in the top of the cabinet, if it matters.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have researched some and found the following two items that are options.

These are rubber/cork/rubber. More info can be found here.

This is what they look like:

I also found these.

Or will the pads provided by B&W be enough?
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to admit I'm guilty of jumping through the hoops to make sure my two front mains are tweaked optimally for my room and then just plop the rest of the surround speakers in with no fine tweaking. I'll probably just use the feet that come with the center. Maybe premium carpet under-padding covered with cloth colored to match the speaker and stand would be a nice easy, cheap, and effective way? This is what I was thinking of doing since I try to save money every way I can if I can DIY (which doesn't make sense for someone willing to pay for 800 series speakers, lol, but that's the way I am).

I'm actually waiting for my center to come in before making a final decision on a TV stand as the only two walls I can put my front end on each has a window directly behind the TV so I can't wall mount. I'll probably custom build one myself after getting the center so I can have exact measurements of the actual speaker (the B&W site is off by a 1/2" on certain measurements with my current speakers).

I really like how all your all your tweeters and mids came out what looks like they're sitting at a perfectly even height with each other. I'm not going to be able to do that since my TV will have to sit on the stand itself. So I'll have to angle mine up. I have an idea how I can get around that, but I really have to wait until I have the actual speaker (back ordered from across seas, err...) so I'll have precise measurements to work with (I wanna try to keep my sub directly in the middle of the front end which is going to be hard considering the size of the HTM3S).

But anyway, I'll either use the supplied feet that come with the center, or premium carpet under-padding with color matching cloth covering glued on. Hey, maybe I can make these for $3 a piece and market and sell them to fellow audiophiles to custom sizes for $50 a square foot. :rofl:

Comment

• vlasis
      • May 2007

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...eakerdudes.asp :T :T

Comment

• Hammie
        • Oct 2005

@ emig5m -- I hear you about the DIY. I love to do stuff like that. I'm actually going to make my own sub riser. I just need to buy the material and put it together. The tweeters are within .25 inches of each other. They are at the perfect listening height in my room. The plasma is slightly tilted down and I thought it was going to be a bigger pain in the neck than it is (pun intended ). It works out real well.

@ vlasis -- Can you provide the dimensions of those? The website has nothing about their specs.
        Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

It's all there.
          I would try it if I could afford 2 inches... but I can't.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Tony1
            • Sep 2007

I have an HTM2d and tried the SpeakerDudes and didn't like them but bought the great gramma:

It tightened up the bass and made vocals more focused. I bought the Great Gramma as HTM2d is big and only overlaps the edges by a couple of inches. I tried the regular size Gramma but was too small for the HTM2d and didn't sound as good as the Great Gramma.

Comment

• AlexDSL
              • Feb 2008

The method "Appellation Haut-Médoc Contrôlée" :

:B

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

I'd go with the Auralex isolation pads that others have mentioned as well. They're made so that depends on your situation, you can actually get a bit of tilt upwards towards you in your seated position, if needed.

Comment

• dknightd
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by AlexDSL
                  The method "Appellation Haut-Médoc Contrôlée" :
                  I like that solution

Comment

• Hammie
                    • Oct 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As it is now, my speakers are all at the perfect listening height. I'm concerned about some of these solutions putting the center too high and me having to tilt it downward. Additionally, I don't really want to raise my TV to accommodate the additional height of the center with isolators. If I try anything, I will probably try the wine cork solution. If it sounds good, I'll just dye them in coffee to get a darker color.

I appreciate everyone's time in responding and I hope this topic helps others who may be in the same situation one day.
                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

louhamilton,

I really like the fact your speakers are the same height. One possible recommendation. I can't tell from the picture, but are the front three speakers on the same plane? I.E. the center channel is not 'set back' from the mains. If the center is set back, then try to move it forward so the face is as even as possible with the mains. Even an inch or so over the edge of the cabinet should help clean things up a bit. Less interference from the cabinet.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Hammie
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
                        louhamilton,

I really like the fact your speakers are the same height. One possible recommendation. I can't tell from the picture, but are the front three speakers on the same plane? I.E. the center channel is not 'set back' from the mains. If the center is set back, then try to move it forward so the face is as even as possible with the mains. Even an inch or so over the edge of the cabinet should help clean things up a bit. Less interference from the cabinet.

Hope this helps.
                        Hey, Steve! Thanks for the compliment.

I'd be afraid to move the center any further forward. It may be too front heavy. As it sits today, the front of the center is about 3/4" from the front of the cabinet (it sits even when the grille is on). The fronts are slightly in front of the center, creating a nice radius of the front sound stage. I have read that this is the best (I think Dolby, DTS and/or THX recommend it this way). Currently, each speaker is 7.5 feet from my "sweet spot."

My next effort is to figure out where the best position will be for my surrounds since I am moving to B&W in-walls. :E Not sure if they should be mounted as high as my current bipole surrounds, or they should lower and closer to the seating area.
                        Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"