X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

B&W 802D & Marantz Power amp experience

Looking for anyone who can share their experiences with 802D and Marantz SM-11S1? Does it work?
    Not something I can get to audit before hand - unfortunately..
  • vinylmeister
    • Sep 2009

Hi, I also have been looking for this information. My findings so far are that the Marantz is not a High Current amplifier and will deliver 100 watts @ 8 Ohm.
    My feeling is that, while this may be an excellent amplifier for smaller loudspeakers it may not be suitable to get most out of the 802D
    Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by vinylmeister
      Hi, I also have been looking for this information. My findings so far are that the Marantz is not a High Current amplifier and will deliver 100 watts @ 8 Ohm.
      My feeling is that, while this may be an excellent amplifier for smaller loudspeakers it may not be suitable to get most out of the 802D

If this is true, then it's likely not suitable for the 802D's. They need a high current amp. This sounds like it would underpower them, which is potentiually damaging to the drivers.

The 800 series love current, the more the better. And when you get to the 802D level, it needs alot. The impedence really dips dowm on them.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 18 September 2009, 18:41 Friday.

Comment

• Mark_NZ
        • Apr 2007

Tried Marantz SM11S1 with 803D

Hi,

I will relate my experiences my experiences with my 803D because I believe this will be similiar, if not more demanding (three woofers vs two), than the 802D.

The SM11S1 showed no evidence of power compression on the 803D. The SM11 has nifty feature that shows an accurate power output reading referenced to 8ohm. 95% of listening never went above 5W! Late night listening averaged 1W! When I turned up the volume to the maximum I could handle, in a room approx 4.2M by 12M, the power reading peaked at 40W. More importantly the tonal quality did not change when the volume was turned up.
        Do note that the B&W loudspeakers are known to draw much higher peak power due to the impedance dropping at particular frequencies. So the actual peak power would be 2 to 4 times of power reading.

Now to the question of sound quality. While I found overall sound quality was good; lots of detail, accurate bass, neutral midrange and very good bass timing, I did experience a small amount of edge in the treble. I suspect this was either related to my initial system grounding (earthed power amp, earth lifted on preamp) or lack of synergy with my Jeff Rowland preamp.

I ultimately bought two Cambridge 840W which I used in biamp mode (preamp earthed, earth lifted on power amps) that together only cost half of one SM11 in NZ. These have proved to be brilliant value - the Absolute Sound accurately describing them as having a smooth buttery class A sound. I can highly recommend the 840W. Using two in biamp mode helps with firming up the sound stage and bringing out more detail.

BTW, I really did want to get the SM11 - they one of the best looking and built amplifiers, and match my Marantz SACD player, but I found better value elsewhere.

Given my experience, I recommend a personal audience with your system or similiar system (same preamp, frontend and system earthing).

Regards
        Mark

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Thanks all for the input. I strongly believe that the total output of an amp is less relevant compared to its ability to simply playing something or really creating that magic that makes you want to grab cd's in an endless row, just enjoying yourself.
          I am struggling a bit with getting my system back up after having purchased a set of 802Ds. My old amp is simply to old and the 802Ds to effeciant so I can hear the transistor hiss 8 feet away.
          Hence the question regarding the SM11S1..

Anyway, have a Classe 2200 coming in next week. Maybe that will do better..

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Oh - should also mention that I have been through 5 different amps so far - but even if some of them sounded good - they all lacked the ability to play without turning the amps up pretty loud. I need music at all levels, including after having tucked in the kids at night.

Comment

• vinylmeister
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by aarsoe

Anyway, have a Classe 2200 coming in next week. Maybe that will do better..
              I got my Classe CA-2200 and CP-500 and they sound so breathtaking!
              Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• SoCalCM
                • Oct 2007

I have a Classe CA3200 with an Anthem D2 (a $14K combo) powering my 3x902D -- and it is breathtaking. Nothing less than this combination had ever sounded remotely close on my 802Ds until I demoed a Luxman L550AII integrated amp for my 804S speakers. It sounded so good with the 804S, just for the heck of it, I hooked it up to the 802Ds. The Luxman was amazing, I would not have believed that a $4.5K integrated could make the 802Ds really sing, even at low volume. I have never heard the Marantz so can't comment on it. But if I were in your position, I would buy the Lux.

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Thanks for the tip. Have always liked the Luxmann sound, even if it has been quite a while since I last had anything from them.
                  However I need to integrate with my home cinema, so not sure if that is the right way to go.
                  Currently the CA-2200 is on my floor and I haven't had time to connect it, but will do so tomorrow. I pray that this can quench my thirst for something useful coming out of the 802Ds - even at low levels..

Comment

• vinylmeister
                    • Sep 2009

The CA-2200 and CP-500 work fine even at low volume levels with for example Casandra Wilson

Comment

• BassThatHz
                      • Jul 2006

Ok this guy has a pair of MC1200's on B&W 801D's

The McIntosh MC-1201 Amplifier and McIntosh C-2300 Preamplifier, an incredible combination!Please Click Here For More Great Vintage Audio http://shop.ebay.co...

Watch the vid and then ask again, if you still think 100watts is enough for the 800 series :rofl:

Comment

• aarsoe
                        • May 2004

Update - connected and tried the CA-2200 and after 35 min I texted the dealer and told him that he was not getting the unit back!
                        So now that is solved I need to solve the issue of the fact that it will break my setup in terms of placement as it is to big to ensure I can have it in my enclosure I use for all my other stuff.
                        And if I put it out in the "open" then I need to continue down the Classe road as the look is to far from what I already have.

Bottom line: I hate this hobby of ours...

Comment

• vinylmeister
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by aarsoe
                          Update - connected and tried the CA-2200 and after 35 min I texted the dealer and told him that he was not getting the unit back!
                          So now that is solved I need to solve the issue of the fact that it will break my setup in terms of placement as it is to big to ensure I can have it in my enclosure I use for all my other stuff.
                          And if I put it out in the "open" then I need to continue down the Classe road as the look is to far from what I already have.

Bottom line: I hate this hobby of ours...
                          Yeah, I also hate this hobby, should do something else perhaps watering plants or so :W

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"