X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 51st8
    • Sep 2009

need a little help. amp

hello

i have a question and i wonder if anyone could help me.

I own b&w 685 speakers and yamaha rxv 365.

i did buy harman kardon avr 355 and i wonder if its going to be good enough for my speakers for now? is it any good choice? any suggestions about.. maybe denon, nad, or other amp in this price (up to £600) ?

many thanks for your advise
    chris
    Last edited by 51st8; 12 September 2009, 17:48 Saturday. Reason: editing, no response for my question!
  • 51st8
    • Sep 2009

hmm.... so many viewers and no help... strange
    Last edited by 51st8; 12 September 2009, 17:45 Saturday.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
      • May 2008

Need to know alot more about what you want, how you listen, what you listen to etc. to give you any meanigful advice...
      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• 51st8
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
        Need to know alot more about what you want, how you listen, what you listen to etc. to give you any meanigful advice...

Thank you very much for your reply.

1) as i informed i did order h/k 355 and i wonder if it is good choice.
        i listen mainly rock music but hyper dub, house music as well.
        this is temporary setup for .. i would say one year.
        later i would like to buy cm7 or cm9 speakers and another amp.
        h/k would go to bedroom and the new stuff to a living room.
        2) if i buy cm7 or cm9 speakers what avr would be good for it? and what cables in reasonable price. i'm not expecting too much form my audio system because i think i can tell what is the different between cm9 and 800 speakers. never heard them and i think i can stick with middle range which is good enough for me.

thank you very much for your help
        chris

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Instead of buying even another AVR if you go CM 7 or 9 I would invest in a nice power amp like the Emotiva XPA-5 and use the pre-outs of the receiver (I would drive my receiver into protection mode with the 683). Yea, I've used this beast to also power my 685's as front mains and the 685's can sure take & benefit from some raw power! They'll play real loud, clear, and clean with a nice full sound. If you really want to go for bang for the buck from where you are now, keep your 685's, add in a awesome powered sub (find a nice used one on Audiogon for half price), calibrate them for seamless integration, and then get a separate power amp like the Emotiva XPA-5 and call it a day.

With a good sub you'll have more bass than the bigger towers alone. Go to the bigger towers with the FST midrange if you want a more open and clearer midrange and possibly not need a sub for most music. But the 685's calibrated with a powerful sub is a force to be reckoned with IMO. I used my 685's with my Sunfire Signature EQ and the sound was so good that I was almost thinking about getting rid of the 683 towers and going nice and compact bookshelf speakers. But those damned FST mids.... It's too noticeable of a difference to lose them.. hehe.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
            • May 2008

I think he is in the UK, so Emotiva is probably not an option, or at least not as reasonable cost wise as here in North America.

As for the AVR, are you using it for watching movies as well? This is part of what we need to know as well, since a 2 channel setup is a lot different than a 5.1/7.1 setup.

If you are only listening to music with no movies I would say don't buy an AVR at all, as you are paying for features you won't use. Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Music Hall and Naim all make reasonably priced integrated Amps that will make your 685s sing, and down the road the CM series as well.

If you need the 5.1/7.1 portion that is different, and the HK is probably ok, or at least comparable to the Yamaha and Denons. ther next step up would be Rotel or Denon IMHO.

Speakers are the best starting point, and you have chosen some good ones as emig5m mentioned...they would serve you well down the road in a 5.1 system with CM7s or CM9s up front or in your bedroom. Adding a sub will gill them out more of course.
            Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• 51st8
              • Sep 2009

yes in deed. i'm going to use it for watching movies as well. thats why i stick with AVR.

i wonder if Yamaha-DSP-AX863SE (model for UK) wouldn't be better. it is in the same price range. http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-DSP-AX863SE/
              in a fact its been discontinued. i think there are still chances to get it. i did read on what hi fi 'your opinion' section that H/K 355 in its the price range £600-£800 is a good competitor for the others:

thats why i chosen H/K really.
              what do you think about it?

thanks
              chris

Comment

• 51st8
                • Sep 2009

one more thing...
                before i purchased b&w 685 speakers i had a chance to listen them in the show room.
                they have been connected to the MARANTZ PM6003 AMPLIFIER.
                to be honest i cannot get this much power and quality form my yamaha rxv 365. i clearly understand that my yamaha is a cheap stuff and i shouldn't expect too much.
                but i found limits in my yamaha. when i increase volume there is a some limit that they wont go more and clarity starts lacking (if there is any clarity from yamaha rxv365). form marantz in the show room the sound was impressive and much louder with out loosing on quality.
                maybe its sound funny that i'm talking about quality and clarity form this kind of cheap system but for some people there are some budget limits and i as a part of them trying to do my best.

thank you for your help and papatience.

Comment

• 51st8
                  • Sep 2009

another question:

what is the best connection for ps3, sat receiver ?
                  my connections so far:
                  because yamaha rxv 365 sends only video signal over HDMI, both ps3 and sat receiver are connected via HDMI for video signal and optical cable for sound.
                  should i keep these connestion as they are with new AVR? or every unit over HDMI?

my speaker cables:
                  QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY XT SPEAKER CABLE (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_ID/2514 )
                  plus
                  QED AIRLOC PROFESSIONAL-FIT 4MM BANANA PLUG (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_ID/1136 )

are these speaker cables going to be enough for cm7 or cm9?

or should i change for: QED XT400 SPEAKER CABLE
                  Looking for the best-in-class Hifi & Home Audio? Than look no further. Superfi offer w wide range of Hifi products, ranging across TVs, Home Cinema, Hifi Systems, Speakers, Amplifiers, Turntables, and much, much more. Discover Superfi and unlock visual & audio excellence.

maybe something different in this price?

i'm sorry to bother you Guys about all of this stuff but i just want to get better knowledge and choose what is affordable for me.
                  thanks again.
                  chris
                  Last edited by 51st8; 13 September 2009, 06:52 Sunday.

Comment

• emig5m
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 51st8
                    one more thing...
                    before i purchased b&w 685 speakers i had a chance to listen them in the show room.
                    they have been connected to the MARANTZ PM6003 AMPLIFIER.
                    to be honest i cannot get this much power and quality form my yamaha rxv 365. i clearly understand that my yamaha is a cheap stuff and i shouldn't expect too much.
                    but i found limits in my yamaha. when i increase volume there is a some limit that they wont go more and clarity starts lacking (if there is any clarity from yamaha rxv365). form marantz in the show room the sound was impressive and much louder with out loosing on quality.
                    maybe its sound funny that i'm talking about quality and clarity form this kind of cheap system but for some people there are some budget limits and i as a part of them trying to do my best.

thank you for your help and papatience.
                    That's why I said add in a nice amp to your AVR (as long as you have pre-amp outs). As far as a more expensive AVR sounding better in the same brand, I had a $1700 Yamaha 3900 the other night to compare to my $430 663 and with using the separate amp, there was no real difference other than features up the wazoo with the more expensive one and I don't even use all the features of the cheaper one so back it went (hey, I tried.... I was willing to spend the money if there would of been a noticeable sound quality increase).

Comment

• 51st8
                      • Sep 2009

ok, that's sound good and reasonable.
                      on a picture of H/K AVR 355 (back side) the are some outs. there is description PRE OUT.
                      is it pre amp out?

if so, can i connect 'nice amp' to that?
                      what is nice amp? any Rotel amp? Rotel RMB-1565 or Rotel RB-1572 stereo power amplifier ? if you could check it it woulb be great. or anything you think going to sound good?
                      i'm open for propositions. a few would be great.
                      and speaker cables, makes and models.

Comment

• 51st8
                        • Sep 2009

there is a picture of the back of HK 355
                        left bottom corner
                        if you could have a look.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                          • May 2008

Yes, the pre out allows you to not use the AVRs internal amps, and run something else, Emotiva here in North America is fantastic value, in the UK I am not sure.

As for your cabling, I think what you have sounds good, I would worry about the major stuff first, then tweak the cabling etc.

I think you need to decide what sound you want and then go and listen. I haven't heard the combination you have, though I have heard that Yamaha in general has a slightly forward or bright sound...if that is what you like, then stick with it. I think B & W in general have a slight bias towards detail and brightness as well, so combining them may not be perfect, but if you like that sound, then it is. None of us can decide for you what the right sound is...and those are really sweeping generalizations...you really need to plug in some music you know well, listen to it on your system, then swap in the HK and try it out...do you like it better? What about it do you like better? Or not. Then you can come back to us and tell us you like the sound of x because it is ____ . Then with all the different experiences of people on here we can hopefully point you in the right direction.
                          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• 51st8
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
                            That's why I said add in a nice amp to your AVR (as long as you have pre-amp outs). As far as a more expensive AVR sounding better in the same brand, I had a $1700 Yamaha 3900 the other night to compare to my $430 663 and with using the separate amp, there was no real difference other than features up the wazoo with the more expensive one and I don't even use all the features of the cheaper one so back it went (hey, I tried.... I was willing to spend the money if there would of been a noticeable sound quality increase).

ok, that's sound good and reasonable.
                            on a picture of H/K AVR 355 (back side) the are some outs. there is description PRE OUT.
                            is it pre amp out?

if so, can i connect 'nice amp' to that?
                            what is nice amp? any Rotel amp? Rotel RMB-1565 or Rotel RB-1572 stereo power amplifier ? if you could check it it woulb be great. or anything you think going to sound good?
                            i'm open for propositions. a few would be great.
                            and speaker cables, makes and models.

i did read manual and there is PRE OUT

cheers
                            chris

Comment

• 51st8
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                              Yes, the pre out allows you to not use the AVRs internal amps, and run something else, Emotiva here in North America is fantastic value, in the UK I am not sure.

As for your cabling, I think what you have sounds good, I would worry about the major stuff first, then tweak the cabling etc.

I think you need to decide what sound you want and then go and listen. I haven't heard the combination you have, though I have heard that Yamaha in general has a slightly forward or bright sound...if that is what you like, then stick with it. I think B & W in general have a slight bias towards detail and brightness as well, so combining them may not be perfect, but if you like that sound, then it is. None of us can decide for you what the right sound is...and those are really sweeping generalizations...you really need to plug in some music you know well, listen to it on your system, then swap in the HK and try it out...do you like it better? What about it do you like better? Or not. Then you can come back to us and tell us you like the sound of x because it is ____ . Then with all the different experiences of people on here we can hopefully point you in the right direction.
                              thank you very much
                              i'll test HK and i'll see if its really worth it and sounds better.
                              chris

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"