Phase Correction - I have the power, should I use it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Phase Correction - I have the power, should I use it?

I have the frequency response of my dipoles down very flat in room. So, since I have no life, I thought I might take a look at the mysterious world of phase.

One of the nifty features of my new dbx Driverack 260 is that it allows one to specify delays for all drivers individually, and also adjust the phase for all the drivers individually.

Do the poobahs think this is worthwhile?

And if so, what is the best way to find out exactly what phase issues I may have. I have ETF, TrueRTA and the demo version of SpectraLab to play with.

This swine awaits your pearls.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Phase and amplitude response are inextricably linked. Now, if you've got your system dialed in for "flat" response, then you've taken care of the phase response in the crossover region already. Adding delay to specific outputs should only mess things up at this point.

OTOH, it's not likely that you have zero phase errors, just that the phase errors are the normal ones associated with the crossover filters.

If you want to explore that, and get a little depressed, get a pulse generator and a scope, and try passing a 10 millisecond or 1 millisecond pulse waveform.

Then, sit back, relax, have a margarita or a good beer, and be thankful we don't seem to hear the way that test instruments can, or the way that most advocates of TP speakers claim we can.

BTW, been there, done that, wrote the book, optioned the movie, re TP speakers which will pass a good 1 millsecond or 10 millisecond pulse on axis... in the seventies.

I personally think that if every thing else is similar (axial response, off axis power response, room interaction, etc., most folks will only hear a subtle difference between a good TP speaker and an equally good, but non TP speaker.

If you do want TP, forget mult-way dynamic speakers, DSP, etc; stay with the dipole thing, though, and get a pair of these:

Combine it with a dipole sub array, could be pretty dang awesome....

If I didn't like building stuff so much, they're what I'd own.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Steve, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were asking a more basic question than the TP stuff Jon dove into. Assuming you followed SL's lead and tailored the response of the drivers for an LR4 acoustic rolloff at the crossovers, it's easy to optimize the driver delays. Just reverse the wire on the mid (or reverse the mid polarity in the DSP) and look at how deep the notches are at the crossover points. Fiddle with the delays to get the notches as deep as possible.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
        • Sep 2000

Well, I guess I'll just have to listen to music then.

What an interesting concept.

Steve's DIY Dipoles
        Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

Steve,

Check the Behringer DCX2496 setup file that I sent you a few weeks back. It's programmed with driver delays that should be about right for your system.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
            • Sep 2000

Thanks again Davey. The delays suggested between mids and tweeter were about what I had, but the bass to the others is a bit longer. I did mine from the middle of the H-baffle figuring that to be the acoustic center with front and rear facing drivers, did you do yours from the rear driver?

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
            Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Well, I guess I'll just have to listen to music then.
              What an interesting concept.
              Interesting concept? It's every DIYer's worst nightmare! :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Speaking of Soundlab stats, there's an 8 year old pair of A1s on Audiogon for $4K. :E :E :E :E

Must resist, must resist, must resist........

PS, Jon, they're located just north of you. "Honey, why don't we drive up to Santa Rosa for some sightseeing?" :rf

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"