X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Steeves
    • Nov 2000

Tempest Sonosub Completed!

Well Guys after about 3 weeks of gathering up parts and supplies, building and painting, I am finished!

My final design was a 10.5ft3 net enclosure with 2 6" ports tuned to 18hz. I lined the walls with 2" of poly-batting then 2" of the batting along with about 4" of acousta-stuff at the top end cap, to reduce standing waves. Driver and ports are mounted on the bottom allowing something to be placed on top for SAF I finished it in a piano black gloss lacquer. I have taken pictures of most of the process of building, but I don't have a digital camera so I am going to have Mike Knapp scan them this coming weekend.

Ok my initial impressions. First let me say this, I finished it tonight at about 8:30 so I didn't have much time to fool around with placement etc... What I did was disconnect my 2 sealed 3ft3 "Titanic" subs and connected one channel of my Adcom GFA555 to the sono. With this setup I am getting 325 watts at 4 ohms. I put the sono right in front of one of the "Titanics" about 2 feet from the front wall and 6 feet from the left wall. I know this is not the ideal place but like I said I had no time to move furniture etc...

What did I hear? Well not as much as I expected to. I had to crank the volume control on my pre/pro way up to get anywhere near the same output as the 2 "Titanics." When I did crank it it definitely had the power to shake and vibrate the house! I just thought it would be more of a difference from the "Titanics." Granted I was only using one channel of the Adcom @ 325watts and also only one channel of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Again placement and wiring wasn't the way I intended to run this sub. I know I will more than likely hear a difference once I bridge the Adcom and the Behringer, as well as put the sono in a corner. At least I hope so. I think using only one channel of the "Behringer" doesn't put out enough voltage to the Adcom, not sure? I'll have to experiment. Oh yeah, I am running the sub parallel at 4ohms if that wasn't clear.

As far as looks, it's as stunning as a "Sonosub" can be! Can't wait to get some pictures up for you all to see.

She said,"you're gonna put that thing WHERE!"
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Brian

Congratulations on getting the sub finished

You shouldn't expect one Tempest to stomp 2 Titanics. The output should actually be quite similar given the displacement of 2-12"s compared to 1-15". The Tempest should go lower especially with the tuning you have.

We look forward to seeing the pictures!

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Steeves
      • Nov 2000

You shouldn't expect one Tempest to stomp 2 Titanics.
      Well Dan W. said that it should,"blow away" my 2 Titanics. We'll see once I get it wired and placed right.

By the way the email notification still isn't working.

Comment

• Brian Steeves
        • Nov 2000

Good news to report!

Let me first thank all those who helped contribute to the design of this sub. Dan Wiggins, Mike Knapp, TomV, ThomasW, Andrew Pratt, and a few others who's names escape me at the moment. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

In another post I talked about being a little disappointed with this sub, but now that I have made the adjustments I talked about, i.e. moved it closer to the wall and bridged my Adcom. Boy what a difference 800 watts makes! It definitely rocks!

I played a few movie tracks from Blade, SPR, and JP. This sub has got it. In the opening Blade scene where he takes those steps my Titanics would bottom out if the volume was too high, not the Tempest! It belted them out with authority. And the scence where he blows the vault door- Amazing!

I also played a few music tracks to see how it compared to the Titanics for music. Well it held it's own. Not quite as tight but very listenable. I'm sure I need to do some adjustment to the Behringer as it is set up for the 2 Titanics.

I have a "Bass" disc that I left in my truck at work. As soon as I get it I will do some measurements and post them. However I fear for the structural integrity of my house with this disc

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"