X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wasabichondro
    • Sep 2009

AMP 704 & 705 & HTM7 B&W

New to the club but have had my setup for sometime.

Currently I am using a Rotel RSX-1057 to power 704 for the mains, HTM7 for the center and 705 for surrounds. I am looking for advice on these 2 options.

Should give the 704's 130x2 from a Rotel RB-1070

or

Give all 5 B&W 120x5 from a Rotel RMB-1075?

open to all oppinions.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

If you are more of a two channel music listener, get the RB-1070. If you are more of a movie watcher, get the RMB-1075. The RMB-1075 is pretty close to the performance of the RB-1070 so you won't lose out on better stereo with the RMB-1075. That is my two cents.

Eric

Comment

• wasabichondro
      • Sep 2009

Acording to the Rotel Receiver manual the RSX-1057 gets 100x2 when playing in stereo. So the RMB-1075 would be a 20% increase in stereo mode. The RB-1070 would be a 30%.

I might consider getting the RMB-1095 which will give me 100% increase. It is more money however it will be MUCH more of an upgrade to feed all speakers. Would there be a concern of blowing them if I use the 200x5 amp when the speakers are rated at 150 watts and 130 wats for the center and surrounds?

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

The 100 watt rating on the RSX-1057 in two channel mode is not a full bandwidth rating like separate amps. The amps in the RSX-1057 are 75 watts full bandwidth rated.

As for the RMB-1095, that would be better then the RB-1070 or RMB-1075 in all areas. That is one killer amp. If you want to go in that direction, I'd say go for it.

Eric

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

You generally cannot have too much good power. Underpowering speakers is much more damaging to speakers. Either the 1075 or the 1095 would be quite a nice improvement. The 1095 will be even better in the bass department.

I had a 1095 driving older version of the speakers you now have. It was quite excellent.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

You should have no worries about blowing your speakers with an amp like the 1095. I'd suggest either:

1) RB-1095 all the way around OR
            2) RB-1080 for the 704's and let your receiver handle the rest

I have a 1080 paired with an RSX-1056 and have no problems at all with 5.1 or 2 channel. Although I'd eventually like to get more amp for the center and surrounds, I'm not sure I can really justify it. It's not like they present a huge load on the receiver, especially when using a high crossover point on them. I am a big believer in having good current for the mains, but I also listen to allot of 2 channel so I sort of need it.

Either way, the 1095 and 1080 are good enough amps that you'd probably never "need" to replace them again unless you get some 802's or something like that . . . and there would be nothing wrong with that

Comment

• wasabichondro
              • Sep 2009

What about getting the RMB-1075 in the near future and then eventually getting a RB-1080 for the main towers?

This way I have 120x5 for all channels and add the 200x2 to the 704's?

I have never had an external amplifier only receivers so you thoughts on this are very much appreciated.

Comment

• NMG
                • Oct 2004

This is just my opinion, but I think I'd rather go with the 1080/1057 combo over just the 1075. If you eventually plan on beefing up the fronts with another amp, then yeah, I think the 1075 would be a very nice incremental improvement to your current system.

If I was in your position right now though, I'd probably just grab a 1095 and be done with it. It's probably a lower cost option over the long-term than getting a 1075 and a 1080. The 1075 is a nice amp, but I think you would see a bigger improvement having allot more current for the mains than you do now, over a little more all the way around, especially if you do any 2 channel.

Tough choices I know. At least they are fun choices to have to make See what others suggest as well though because this is certainly a topic that will make for good discussion.

Good luck!

Comment

• wasabichondro
                  • Sep 2009

I am just a little hesitant to get the 2 channel 1sdt since Rotel has a 200x2 A/B amplifier in the new 15 serries I can grab when ever brand new, and the 10 serries RMB-1075 or RMB-1095 have just been dicontinued. So I was thinking get a RMB-1075 for arround $600 to cover all speakers then get a RB-1080 or an new 15 series amplifier to poer the mains.

With that said I am more concerned about getting power to my mains for 2 channel CD and Vinyl playback, and it will help with movies as well.

It is a tough decision.... might go for getting a used Rb-993 which is 200x3?

Thanks for the help. I like the opiniopns offered.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

I had the same fronts as you did with the 704 and HTM7 as fronts and was the 1075 for the amplification and using the pre outs on a Denon receiver and was very happy with the results. I think you'll be happy either way, between the 1075 or 1095. If I was in your shoes, and the difference between the price of the 2 units doesn't matter too much, then the 1095 would be the choice for me. Like others said, the 1095 would be a more significant upgrade all around, for both movies and music. And if you're ok with buying used, the price between the 1095 and 1075 isn't that much at all.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"