X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Best internal wire for a woof?

Some sealed woofers (lambda SB10's) for use on my 2ch music, what's good reasonable wire for inside the cabinet. Decent quality 10ga sound king type stuff good enough since it's 250 Hz and down, or is there a much better choice for under $5 a foot? (since I only need about 6 feet).

BB
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

how about 22 AWG solid silver in teflon? Can't get much better than that. Let me know if that interests you, as I have some on hand here...

10 gauge is overkill really. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Saw an interesting cut-away of the insides of a JM Lab monitor. They were using wire that must have been 6-8 gauge for all the drivers including the tweeter.

Unfortunately I can't find the link to the pic.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Lex
        how about 22 AWG solid silver in teflon? Can't get much better than that. Let me know if that interests you, as I have some on hand here...

10 gauge is overkill really. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Lex
        These things are running off a Crown MA2402, and so will be taking peaks of 800 watts or so. While I agree about Q over Q, isn't 22 gauge a little light for this?

Now for the 2 ways they will be mated to, I would consider the silver stuff.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by ThomasW
          They were using wire that must have been 6-8 gauge for all the drivers including the tweeter.
          Boy I'd be nervous trying to solder 8 gauge wire to an expensive tweeter. Oops - overheat.

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I have some custom Litz wire I had made up in the mid ninetites (for things like Class D amplifier inductors); it's 12 gauge, 360 strands. That's a bit over the top for LF, though!

Below 250 Hz, with the runs you're talking about, conventional stranded copper is OK, IF the insulation won't corrode the copper surface over time; unfortunately, a lot of the zip cord style products have issues in that regard. I personally prefer fully insulated individual strands, but then everyone knows I'm a nutcase. The "cheap" wire I use for speakers internally is silver plated teflon insulated stranded wire, usually AWG14. I wire my "nicer" speakers internally with Cardas 11.5 AWG (which uses golden ratio stranding, and is especially neutral in the midrange), or with my custom Litz. The Cardas 11.5 is about $3 per foot- single strand, so it may not fit within your cost constraints. For tweeter circuits, the 15.5 AWG Cardas works well, and is only 1.70 per foot. Avalon uses Cardas for internal wiring.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I also have 12 and 14 gauge silver coated copper in teflon. and 22 AWG copper in teflon, that could be braided and use all 3 strands for a much higher aggregate gauge. Whatever, let these guys fix you up here is fine by me.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

That sounds about the speed I'm looking for. What's price and shipping (regular ground) on the 12 and 14 gauge stuff, for 25'?

BB

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"