• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magicvinny
    • Jul 2008

CM9 or XT8

Dear all,

I'm from Belgium so sorry for the English

I've sold my XT4 speakers(still have XTC as a center) and I'm looking for a replacement. I would like to improve sq so I was thinking of the XT8's.
    Would the XT8 be a good match with the XTC? XT8 has FST and XTC hasn't so maybe they don't match anymore.
    I also read a lot of good things of the CM9 so I was wondering wich would be the better speaker?

PS I have a Denon 3808 reciever.

Thank's in advance
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by magicvinny
    Dear all,

I'm from Belgium so sorry for the English

I've sold my XT4 speakers(still have XTC as a center) and I'm looking for a replacement. I would like to improve sq so I was thinking of the XT8's.
    Would the XT8 be a good match with the XTC? XT8 has FST and XTC hasn't so maybe they don't match anymore.
    I also read a lot of good things of the CM9 so I was wondering wich would be the better speaker?

PS I have a Denon 3808 reciever.

Thank's in advance
    If better sound quality is the goal , maybe the Denon isn't the right one. Maybe your speakers are fine.
    Tell me about your room , music and movies you like to enjoy and maybe I could steer you in the right direction.

I have on a side note listened to the cm7's. They are by far one of the very best sounding speakers at there price point I have ever heard. I listened to them with a Rotel Class D digital amp and Rotel preamp in the rsp1069. I was extremely pleased with the sound quality. I actually preferred them over the 804's which by far is a better speaker. In this room with this gear the cm7's sounded better.

Denon receivers especially yours don't have a lot of dynamic range. Even with the BMW speakers which are not hard to drive , the Denon will sound flat and lifeless. I suggest maybe a Rotel 15 series class D digital receiver or seperates and move the Denon. I bet you will enjoy your sound with your current speakers more.

The Xt8's are a match to your current setup. But I don't have any experience with them. I would love to get some time on them.

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

I've listened to the XT8's and CM9's. I thought the XT8's had better imaging due to the narrower cabinet, but the CM9 had the better low-end. However, the XT8 was no slacker in the low end, either. I just thought the CM9 had tighter bass.

In the end, however, I went with the 804s.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Ethan06
        • Feb 2008

I haven't demoed the CM9s but I'm sure happy with my XT8s and PV1. I gotta believe that with your existing XTC the XT8s are going to be the best match, even without FST.

I bet B&W are busy working on bringing another XT center with a FST sometime soon -I hope.

I agree with Damantis, an electronic upgrade might be worth considering as well.

Cheers

Comment

• magicvinny
          • Jul 2008

News News News

I heard from a dealer that B&W will present a complete new line of speakers to replace the XT-series. He got an invitation from B&W to go look at them next month. I couldn`t find anything on the net yet about a new line so I`m very curious about that.

@Dmantis

Actually I would use the speakers 80% movies / 20% music. My room is about 5 meter by 5 meter.
          Is the video processing in the Rotel 15 series as good as let`s say the Denon 4310? Faroudja vs Anchor Bay ABT2010.
          This is important too as I`m using a Denon blu ray transport(2500BT).

@Ethan06

What kind of amp or reciever are you using to drive the XT8?

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"