X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vfrjim
    • Apr 2003

Thoughts about Modifying a Klipsch KSW15 Sub

I have a KSW15 sub that lacks the lower punch and was thinking about modifying the sub by replacing the driver and retuning it. Does anyone have info on what driver is in it now and what are it's specs? Could anyone reccomend a replacement driver (15")? Would I need to do any retuning of the port and would I be able to reuse the 800 watt (I know, ya right) amp that is there already? Any oppinions/thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

In all likelyhood that plate amp will have a boost in it to help that driver remain somewhat flat so even if you replace the driver you're still not going to have a sub that performs much better then what you have now. What I'd suggest is simply sell the klipshe and start from a clean slate. Providing you get an ok price for the klipshe you should have enough to buy either a new sub from the likes of Adrie, SVS, CreativeSound, AcousticVisions etc or the raw parts to build your own from the ground up.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Probably a better route is to sell the complete unit and use the proceeds to fund a DIY project.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• vfrjim
        • Apr 2003

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I figured that I would ask to see if anyone ever did a mod like this before I sell my sub.

Jim

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

vfrjim- I've also got a KSW-15, and it has done me well for a few years. I'll also be going to a SVS later this year, and have considered keeping the Klipsch to augment the bass, since the SVS models with the lower range are stated to not have as much power across the range.

I'm curious what you end up doing. Especially if you do any mods--lemme know!

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• vfrjim
            • Apr 2003

Well, I am about 99% sure that I will be going to a SVS sub and selling the KSW-15, probably the 16-46PC-Plus, but not 100% sure yet. I really want the low end punch in my system.

Jim

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

Well, being that this is the DIY forum, I'd have to recommend picking the brains of the knowledgeable folks around here and maximizing your peformance to dollar ratio by building your own.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"