X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Meet the DB1—Unleashing a new era in B&W subwoofer design

Here is a new sub that B&W is intoducing. Sounds pretty awesome!

The DB1 is B&W’s new reference subwoofer. It is the result of two years of intensive research and development by our engineers at the Research Establishment in Steyning, West Sussex, U.K. The DB1 nomenclature stands for Digital Signal Processing and Balanced Drive Model 1. The DB1 provides explosive deep bass that is required for high-end home theater systems, yet is detailed, tuneful and harmonically accurate to satisfy the most demanding audiophiles. Its relatively compact, gloss black enclosure sits atop a state-of-the-art electronics package housed in a brushed silver base.

The DB1 can be configured by using the OLED display and navigation button array on the front of the sub for convenient end-user set up. Menus for sensitivity, gain, polarity, slope, low-pass filter in/out, and turn-on options are available. An easy to use graphic equalizer is built-in and can be adjusted via the front panel display. Up to five different set-up presets may be stored and switched into the audio path. These may be used for different applications, for example stereo music, movies, late night, concert videos and games.

The DB1 set-up can be refined even further. The brain of the DB1 is a proprietary Digital Signal Processing engine. The DSP circuitry provides far more flexibility in setting up the subwoofer than can be provided by an analog approach. B&W has developed a PC application for the DB1 called SubApp. SubApp’s clear GUI gives you an alternative way of setting up the DB1, with all the functionality of the front panel menus and more. Drop down options for many B&W main speakers are part of the program, and guidance is provided for non-B&W speakers to assist in blending the DB1’s response to other speakers in the system. It also allows the user to attach a name to each of the presets for easier identification.

SubApp additionally provides an advanced multi-point Room EQ function. As we know, the room is most active at low bass frequencies and this can cause not only boomy or indistinct bass (depending on where you are in the room) but can also blur higher frequency information. Indeed, trying to “fix” midrange and higher frequencies electronically doesn’t work, but addressing bass modes benefits overall response at higher frequencies as well. The Room EQ tool, coupled with the DSP circuitry in the DB1, lets you tame low-frequency room modes for the smoothest overall bass response throughout the listening area The result is better definition, detail and intelligibility. All the necessary measurement hardware - USB sound card, microphone and cables - is included.

Although the Digital Signal Processing circuitry is the brain of the DB1, its heart is a potent motor assembly consisting of two Rohacell® 12-inch drivers powered by a 1000 watt Class D amplifier. Together the dual drivers provide a radiating area greater than that of a single 15-inch unit, and operate in perfect balanced symmetry to cancel out the rocking motion vibration that is normally transmitted to the enclosure. This design, when combined with extensive cabinet bracing, effectively eliminates coloration and mechanical energy loss from enclosure excitation typical of conventional designs.

The driver design is B&W’s most impressive yet for this demanding application. Its ultra rugged construction has been perfected after hundreds of hours of rigorous testing, with particular close attention to heat dissipation in the long-throw motor system, reinforcement of the cone and fatigue resistance of the lead-out wires. As a result, the DB1 is capable of high sound levels and its useful response extends to 15Hz – where bass is felt rather than heard. Such performance might bring an expectation of huge dimensions, but at 19.3 x 18.2 x 16.2 inches (HxWxD) its size is modest.

Make no mistake, the DB1 heralds a new era in Bowers & Wilkins subwoofer design.

But the performance goes further than simple figures can convey. The DB1 has a dynamic agility that adds finesse to its delivery, born out of the fact that we don’t just make subwoofers and understand how the reproduction of very low bass can affect the perceived sound quality at all frequencies.

Full remote control of the DB1 by IR or RS-232, enables it to integrate easily with third party control systems. Two 12-volt triggers are provided, one for power on/off and a second for switching between two user presets (typically, music and theater.) Signal sensing is also provided, and is adjustable via the set-up menu. A USB 2.0 socket provides access for future software updates.

The DB1 provides balanced or unbalanced mono input (not both together), and an unbalanced stereo input. The stereo and one mono input can be connected simultaneously and selected for use independently.

Make no mistake, the DB1 heralds a new era in Bowers & Wilkins subwoofer design. It produces very high SPL (Sound Pressure Level) from a beautiful, yet compact enclosure. Its powerful DSP engine coupled with the balanced drive system achieves performance that will make all other subwoofers seem wanting, and does so with an elegant appearance that will fit easily into room decor. The DB1, simply put, is “best in class.”

Suggested retail price is $4500.00 with availability beginning in December 2009.
    I think B&W is tired of losing sales to the likes of JL Audio and Velodyne.

Eric
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

they coulda cut the cost down by not having an OLED screen on it. How often would you really use it? Especially since it seems the PC interface would be far more convenient.

I wonder how many JL/Velodyne fans they will win over with this dual 12" sub?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Mikael
      • Aug 2007

This sub sound like the best sub B&W has ever built, It would be so great if B&W would make a 2 way speaker consisting of the the same 7" mid/bass driver the diamond signature got and a diamond treble, at a more affordable price.to go with the sub.

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

Eric,
        Sent you a PM.
        Ray

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Comment

• William
            • Aug 2006

Will it be at CEDIA?

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by William
              Will it be at CEDIA?
              Yes.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by emig5m
                The spec sheet is just to big to attach. That is the only image I have.

Eric

Comment

• george_k
                  • Jan 2004

Take a screenshot of the spec sheet, crop it and attach. The printscreen key on your keyboard and mspaint are your friends :-)

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Attached Files

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

Thanks sikoniko, I was busy over the last couple of days and didn't get a chance to try george k's suggestion.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I'm curious if that is a bad rendering or if it is two-toned...

Comment

• hifiguymi
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          I'm curious if that is a bad rendering or if it is two-toned...
                          Since it has a gloss black finish, I'm assuming that is the way the light hit it when the photo was taken. That and the fact it is a low rez photo on a PDF.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

ya. i think piano gloss is pretty, but not the best idea for a dedicated theater room. wish they had a flat black option. all I need is to watch a movie on my sub because its too distracting.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                              ya. i think piano gloss is pretty, but not the best idea for a dedicated theater room. wish they had a flat black option. all I need is to watch a movie on my sub because its too distracting.
                              I wonder if this is an indicator of the styling for the new 800 series.
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

I wonder if this is an indicator of the styling for the new 800 series
                                uhmm... see the PV1 is a new sub, extrem in look but the styling of the XT serie was not so around the corner....

Style

Comment

• Hammie
                                  • Oct 2005

I would so prefer a wood cabinet versus black. I have a black sub now and feels that it is hard to blend in to the decor. Whereas a wood veneer sub would be very complimentary to the current 800 series wood finishes.
                                  Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                  Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                  Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                  B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                  Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                  My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                  Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                    • May 2004

I wish they made a bigger version of the PV1, like a dual 12 version of it, that would be awesome. The PV1 is still one of my favorite subs to date.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                      • Dec 2007

Is the DB1 available yet? There is an Ad. on Agon selling new @ $3800.00

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"