X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Another pretty box to Klone? ;-)

Well, in the process of my morning news update, I came across this new model from RBH. They're into metal cone woofers, and do some pretty nice cabinet work.

This is a modular system, and the center portion is also sold as a stand alone speaker (HT oriented), and the top and bottom sections are sold as subs. In this configuration, the crossover to three soft dome tweeters in the center module is 2.5 kHz, a skosh high in my opinion, unless you really want to limit the vertical directivity- which I guess they do. Hopefully there won't be too much lobinb from interference between the dome tweeters in the HF area; it would be interseting to see how plots on axis and 5 degrees, 10 degrees, etc, look. Or maybe just a continuous vertical polar plot.

This is one way to get some narrow columns with serious output capability, now that Dunlavy is no longer around... :W

The woofers in the sub modules don't really look like long throw types, judging from the surround- hence, the area and multiplicity? :?

Seriously, they're probably pretty nice on HT.... and you know I'm a sucker for Rosewood.

Whaddya think, Hank?

(don't worry, I'm not getting diverted from my current projects! Especially the line arrays!)

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

well, the wood's pretty. I can't say I'm hip on just a rectangle as far as what I would call a "new" design, but hey, it is a kick butt design functionally speaking I would think, and very doable, so that makes it a good candidate for DIY, right?

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

They definitely subscribe to the "more must be better" school. :roll:

Rosewood....Me too, Jon. Some folks seem to be tired of seeing it on speakers, but I'm not one.

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Jon, I'm a sucker for pretty girls and rosewood, and those do look like nice cabs. Not a very good candidate for folks who have a SAF to consider though - that's some serious cubic volume. Well, a LS with an RD or a stack of NEO's and a stack of mid-woofs wouldn't actually involve more drivers - might even cost less, depending on the price of the metal cone woofs in these rosewood babies. Also, there are probalby some high parts count crossovers in these, no?

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Well, it's a three way, so that automaticlly means doubled the parts count of a two way! The crossovers are 4th order L-R.

Now, I don't have any "serious" interest in cloning these, I just wanted to post a picture of a nice big shiny aluminum and rosewood speaker, being the sucker for such things that I am!

It's easy to imagine coming up with a comparable configuration; say, HiVi M6's for the midrange units, ScanSpeak D2904 tweeters, sans the acoustic lens, and Aurasound 10's or 12's for the bottom end.

Holey Moley! The tab for that driver complement would make the monolith line sources look like a pair of rat shack mini-monitor klones in comparison!

It's fun to dream, I bet it would be a lot of fun to listen to, using the Widescreeen Mag setup (full size in all four corners).

WAF? What's that? All I have to deal with is DAF - Daughter Acceptance Factor, and that's a whole lot less trouble! :B

~Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"