X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mintchris
    • Jun 2009

HTM4S vs HTM2

posted this on another forum as well. Looking for advice:

Anyone have any experience with the HTM2? I am going to pick up a pair of new 805s's this weekend and I need a centre. I was going to get the matching HTM4S but there are several good condition used HTM2's kicking around for half price. That would give me some extra money to upgrade to a Rotel receiver. Should I stick with my Pioneer 1018 receiver and go for the new HTM4S or go the used HTM2 and the new Rotel receiver.
    Thanks!!!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

mintchris,

The HTM4S is an excellent center channel. Very BIG sounding. I had the predecessor, the Nautilus HTM1. It would match tower speakers very nicely. It would also match the 805's really well. The HTM2 will match your planned 805's very nicely.

From a system perspective, I would get the HTM2, and spend the extra funds on the Rotel receiver. The upgrade the Rotel would provide to the whole system will outweigh, in my opinion, the better performance the HTM4S would provide in one area of the system. The Rotel will have much better amps as well as improved decoding and musicality. The whole system will be upgraded with the Rotel.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 15 December 2009, 21:49 Tuesday.

Comment

• timjclark
      • Apr 2009

Which center for 803S's

Slight thread hi-jacking alert....

Hi Again HTSteve!

I was searching through the forums for info on HTM2 and came accross this thread. I just took delivery of my 803S's this morning and I suspect that my "little" LCR3 is next up on the chopping block. The HTM3S is too rich for my blood and will not fit under my TV. I will be able to accommodate 11.5" and am thinking of either the HTM4S or Nautilus HTM2.

I'm not overly concerned about a perfect match for the 803S's, but in the ball park is what I'm after. Do you think the HTM2 will work out well in my setup?

Thank you!
      Tim
      -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
      -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
      -Rotel: RSP-1069
      -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
      -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
      -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Tim,

The HTM2D and the HTM3S are LARGE, very capable speakers. The main difference is the diamond tweeter on the HTM2D. I would of course recommend the HTM2D with other diamond speakers.

Since you have the 803S's, and the HTM3S is too large (and too expensive), the natural choice is the HTM4S. The HTM4S is the small brother in the family. However, it will be a very good center channel. It is an 800 series speaker after all. It would match quite nicely with the 803S's you now have. I agree the the LCR3, while nice, is just not nearly the same performance as 800 series speakers.

I believe the Nautilus HTM2 is forerunner to the HTM4S. For tonality purposes, I would shoot for the HTM4S. Having the same series in the front three channels is quite impressive.

With the new 800 series models coming, hopefully could can get a good deal on an HTM4.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mintchris
          posted this on another forum as well. Looking for advice:

Anyone have any experience with the HTM2? I am going to pick up a pair of new 805s's this weekend and I need a centre. I was going to get the matching HTM4S but there are several good condition used HTM2's kicking around for half price. That would give me some extra money to upgrade to a Rotel receiver. Should I stick with my Pioneer 1018 receiver and go for the new HTM4S or go the used HTM2 and the new Rotel receiver.
          Thanks!!!
          Personally, I'd go with the matching center (HTM4S), to get the most seamless front stage. Probably not a huge difference in comparison to the HTM2, but worth it in the long run. Since there are rumors of the 'S' series going away, it might be good to complete your set now, and upgrade the processor later.
          Brad

Comment

• timjclark
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by htsteve
            Tim,
            Since you have the 803S's, and the HTM3S is too large (and too expensive), the natural choice is the HTM4S. The HTM4S is the small brother in the family. However, it will be a very good center channel. It is an 800 series speaker after all. It would match quite nicely with the 803S's you now have. I agree the the LCR3, while nice, is just not nearly the same performance as 800 series speakers.

I believe the Nautilus HTM2 is forerunner to the HTM4S. For tonality purposes, I would shoot for the HTM4S. Having the same series in the front three channels is quite impressive.

With the new 800 series models coming, hopefully could can get a good deal on an HTM4.

Hope this helps.
            I've only had the 803S's for 1 day and I'm already talking of a change to the center channel. The MRS will not understand. My B&W dealer is calling B&W this morning to see what the stock is looking like on the HTM4S's. As of last Friday, there were 8 left in my color choice.

My gut tells me that if I can pick up a HTM2 for under $700 that I'd rather do that than have the "better" match for the 803S's. I think I should be able to get the htm4s in the neighborhood of $1200 including tax, but that is just not in the cards right now. I'm tempted to go the route of a HTM2 for now and watch the used market and pick up a HTM4S or even the HTM3S in a couple of years. The 3S would require another rack change though so maybe when the TV gets replaced...

I am guessing that the HTM2 would be a suitable choice for the 803S's. Not the perfect choice, but close enough. My usage is 50% 2-channel, 40% TV and 10% movies so having the perfect CC is not that important to me.

Office system:
            -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
            -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

Just get HTM2. Your 803 is good enough already, it won't improve much with the HTM4S unless you have better amp coming along soon.

Comment

• timjclark
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by BlueSander
                Just get HTM2. Your 803 is good enough already, it won't improve much with the HTM4S unless you have better amp coming along soon.
                I was watching an eBay auction on an HTM2 in the cherry color, but I didn't jump on it. There was still availability of a matching and new HTM4S for my 803S's and I decided to go that route. I got a great deal on it and this way it will match my 803's.

Office system:
                -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Tim,

Excellent news.

Comment

• BlueSander
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by timjclark
                    I was watching an eBay auction on an HTM2 in the cherry color, but I didn't jump on it. There was still availability of a matching and new HTM4S for my 803S's and I decided to go that route. I got a great deal on it and this way it will match my 803's.
                    Do you mind sharing how good was the deal? A month ago, HTM2 was going for average of $550 shipped. All the sudden, the price jumped to over 650. now. It"s just a bad timing for me because I'm the market for a black one now. I hope someone up here have a spare one and willing to let it go at a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"