X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

B&W and Anthem processors

Anyone using a 800 series setup and any of the recent Anthem processors, particularly the D2, AVM50?

I'm trying to gather input from actual users of their experiences from this processors. The room correction software really looks promising but I wonder if there would be any audio synergy with these two brands.

I will be using my Mcintosh MC205 amplifier.

Thanks all.

• scanido
    • Apr 2006

wow 54 views and no responses!

I guess this combination is not popular. I guess i will have to evaluate and report back.

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

Sorry can't help B&W CM 7 - CMC - CM 1 setup with older Anthem AVM 20 and PVA 7 Amp... Can say I do like the setup though :T

Comment

• ninja12
        • Mar 2007

I'm a very proud owner of a D2 with 800 Series Speakers. I thoroughly enjoy the sound that I am getting from that combination. I am also using Anthems P5/P2 amps too. The sound is very clean and enveloping. I could probably tell you a million things about how much I enjoy this set up; but, the most important thing is to listen for yourself. Of course, you already knew that. I don't think you will be disappointed with the D2, McIntosh, and 800 Series Speakers.

Comment

• ironcorn
          • Feb 2009

Hi,
          I 've used an Anthem/B&W combo for the last few years starting with the AVM 20. I just got the D2v and I can tell you that it sounds wonderful with my 5.1 set up; 803S X 4, HTM1, and Fathom F113. I use a Parasound A51. I'm mostly into home threater. That being said, the new Anthem's are pretty buggy right now and have long HDMI handshake times/issues.

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ironcorn
            That being said, the new Anthem's are pretty buggy right now and have long HDMI handshake times/issues.
            Sounds like the norm with most of the new processors from my own reading. I was looking at the Cary audio processor and it appeared to have way too many bugs for $4000. Maybe Emotiva is doing it right by not rushing out their processors even though my patience on waiting for them is wearing thin.....

Comment

• KRC
              • Aug 2004

Hi, I am not quite up to the 800 series but listening to my 703's thru my AVM50 with ARC and MCA 50 amp is fantastic. All of those typical audio magazine comments are true about these products. I can certainly recommend Anthem to go along with B&W.

Kevin

Comment

• Hammie
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by emig5m
                Sounds like the norm with most of the new processors from my own reading. I was looking at the Cary audio processor and it appeared to have way too many bugs for $4000. Maybe Emotiva is doing it right by not rushing out their processors even though my patience on waiting for them is wearing thin.....
                Yeah, I can't wait for the new "X" series Emotiva Processor to pair up with my XPA-5 amp.
                Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• jlr_1304
                  • Aug 2005

I have N802 with htm1, with anthem D2 and mc7300 amps in mono mode for the 3 front speakers.

D2 is a very versatile pre-pro. The best sound i get (for music) is from my theta compli thru the analog IN. I do not have the room correction nor the D2v upgrade.

I liked my previous combo better (theta CB3 with the six shooter analog pre-amp) but it was much $$$$.

Comment

• MikeFL52
                    • Oct 2007

I have an Anthem system (D1 with ARC and P5) driving B&W 803Ds and the system works very well and there is a significant difference with and without ARC. The D1 does not have a video processing board or HDMI and therefore I use the analog inputs for Bluray. HDMI came with the later models.

The main difference between the Anthem Statement line and their AVM line is the upconversion of the audio before any processing.

In my opinion the P5 is as rock solid as they come and can handle any impedence.

I do still think there are some bugs to iron out with the "v" models mainly associated with HDMI (another forum has a lot of posts related to this), but Anthem as a company has very good customer service and so I think they will get things sorted out.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

THanks for the comments all. I'm doing some reading and it looks like the D2 fits the bill well. The upconversion of audio is a plus and the one feature that I think sets it apart from others in the 5-6K range is the fact that the ARC system makes a "real" difference in sound.

Keep the comments coming!

Comment

• jlr_1304
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                        I have an Anthem system (D1 with ARC and P5) driving B&W 803Ds and the system works very well and there is a significant difference with and without ARC. The D1 does not have a video processing board or HDMI and therefore I use the analog inputs for Bluray. HDMI came with the later models.
                        I didnt know you could have a D1 with ARC. If you use the analog IN, then do you have an a/d/a conversion to use the ARC feature ?

Comment

• MikeFL52
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                          I didnt know you could have a D1 with ARC. If you use the analog IN, then do you have an a/d/a conversion to use the ARC feature ?
                          Yes you can use ARC with the D1 and yes since I use the the analog inputs for the bluray in order to apply ARC it goes through D/A in the bluray player (Denon BDCP3800) and then A/D/A in the Anthem.

This is a lot of processing but Anthem also has a pass through mode for analog signals and switching ARC off and doing a back to back comparison I couldn't detect any degredation of the sound. This is also documented in old back copies of various journals, the Anthem Statement pre-pros really do have very good input D/As which add no perceptable noise. This is the significant difference between the Statement (D1, D2, D2v) and regular (AVMXX) series of pre-pros.

At sometime I might upgrade to the D2V but my system using the DVDO for the video processing and the D1 for the audio side works flawlessly whereas, as I mentioned ealier, the D2V does appear to have some teething problems. There is also the not insignificant cost that Anthem is asking for the upgrade.

Comment

• jlr_1304
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                            This is a lot of processing but Anthem also has a pass through mode for analog signals and switching ARC off and doing a back to back comparison I couldn't detect any degredation of the sound. This is also documented in old back copies of various journals, the Anthem Statement pre-pros really do have very good input D/As which add no perceptable noise. This is the significant difference between the Statement (D1, D2, D2v) and regular (AVMXX) series of pre-pros.
                            I noticed some digital glare in the analog IN section for my universal player. I do not find it as transparent as the six shooter from theta. Good, but not great.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"