My second set of Piano Black endcaps for Sonosub (WARNING IMAGES)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julian Data
    • Nov 2000

My second set of Piano Black endcaps for Sonosub (WARNING IMAGES)

Guys,
    I am in the process of building my second DIY Sonosub and just like my first, it will have piano black endcaps. During my first experience in trying to mimick this look, I posted on various forums to ask how and also did some research on how to do this process. I got some great responses/information on how to do it.

Of course, on my first go around in doing this with my first DIY Sonosub, the whole process took 2.5 months for all the outer endcaps to be completed and during this time period, I was going through a lot of anxiety in asking myself, "is thing ever going to be done?"

So with the lessons learned, I decided to try something different to expedite this whole process for my second Sonosub. I took a big interest in what Terry C did for Rich's SonoMASS sub but just modified it just a tad from what I told him back then. So here's what I did:

1. Sanded all surfaces using grits 100, 150, 220

2. Clean surface off.

3. Sprayed a total of 4 coats of Sandable Lacquer Primer (Got from Advance Auto Parts). Each coat primarily consisted of spraying the ends of the endcap first and then spraying the flat portion of the cap in one direction and finally going in a perpendicular/opposite/90º angle direction. After one coat was completed and dried, I sanded with 400 grit. Repeated this four times per endcap and checking the surface for abnormalties. If there was I was used automotive putty but during this process, there was no need for it. So far so good!

**Be sure to primer the understand or any cutouts as you will be administering water onto the endcap(s).

4. Once surface is ready, clean surface with a tack cloth.

5. I applied a total of 4 coats of Black Lacquer (Again from Advance Auto Parts) using the same spray pattern I described earlier with the primer. After each of the first three coats, I wetsanded/colorsanded the surfaces with 1500 grit. The last coat got wetsanded with 2000 grit.

**When wetsanding be sure to use warm water with a dab of dishsoap, this prevents the paper from loading up. IF the paper does load up you can either clean or get a new sheet. I also used a soft sponge as sanding block during wetsanding.

6. Waited a day.

7. I applied 3M Rubbing Compound via terry cloth which I did by hand. (Lots of elbow grease involved here!)

8. I applied another coat of rubbing compound but this time I used a 6" orbital polisher (Walmart) and put the compound on the terry cloth bonnet until it was all polished away. (I didn't use that imitation sheep skin buffing bonnet at all)

9. Finally, I applied Meguair's "The Professional Show Car Glaze 7". Two runs of it. Polish on, buff off. Karate Kid better look out!

10. If the paint hasn't cured, it might turn gray ash, so polish again.

Here are the results that took since Monday to Friday (5 days).

The following images are for the top endcap.

The first image is slightly zoomed in:

Image not available

What do you think? Pretty flat, eh?

Here's the next image taken at a different perspective:

Image not available

Excuse the messy desk!Reviewing products is a neverending process!

The next image, I put the endcap on the floor and put my webcam on a tripod at its maximum allowable height, which was 55".

Image not available

Look at the detail of those ceiling tiles! WOOHOO!

The last image is a closer shot though I don't think I focused the webcam right. I might take the pic again.

Image not available

OH joy! This beats waiting 2.5 months to get the same results.

FYI, here's a pic of the endcaps from my first DIY sub: (The compression was pretty high when I saved the image back then)

Image not available

So what you guys think in 5 days of work?

Julian
    Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:30 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links
    Julian Data
    COO of Blackhole Motorsports
    http://www.bhmotorsports.com
    Revamped DIY www site coming soon!
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

As was said before, very Nice...

Welcome to the HTGuide Julian

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Julian Data
      • Nov 2000

Hi Bing!

Thanks I just found this place! Now I see where ThomasW is at all the time.

Julian

Julian Data
      Julian Data

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Julian, that Piano Black looks awesome. Might I ask what sort of spray aparatus you used?
        Were these spray cans, or did you buy bulk paint and put in your own gun?

I really should build a Piano black sub, would look great with my RPTV and audio rack.

Lex

Thanks,

Lex

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Lex arn't you Sonus fabers Piana black as well?

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Julian Data
            • Nov 2000

Lex,

Julian, that Piano Black looks awesome. Might I ask what sort of spray aparatus you used?
            Were these spray cans, or did you buy bulk paint and put in your own gun?

I used "cans". Hehe. A total of 4 cans of black lacquer and 4 for primer.

I really should build a Piano black sub, would look great with my RPTV and audio rack.

I think it is well worth the effort all the time and elbow grease involved.

Thank you for having this forum available to us!

Julian

Julian Data
            Julian Data

Comment

• Pat
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Nice job Julian,

I use Meguiars on my car:B

Pat's Page
              Pat's Page

Comment

• Lexman
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2000

Yeah, I think it's really cool that you were able to achieve that kind of lustrous finish with cans of spray laquer! Great job again.

I will be considering this in the future, and yes Bing, my Sf GP's have piano black side panels on them. Piano black is the natural material for my subs, and I almost did them that way the first time. However, the oak of my Velex does accent my great room nicely, as oak is the theme wood. Of course, the black of the woofers and ports ties it back in color wise to the rest of the gear.

Yes, McGuires is good stuff. They make a wax that is second to none, but it's hard to find. It's called McGuires Medallion. About 20 bucks a bottle! I have got to get some more of that stuff.

If you can believe this, my X stole about a half a bottle of it when she left here. Geesh, is there no respect for a product? I mean, how low can you go to steal a man's wax? lol.

Lex

Comment

• Julian Data
                  • Nov 2000

Pat,

I usually use Megauir's and 3M for the car. : )

Julian

Julian Data
                  Julian Data

Comment

• Julian Data
                    • Nov 2000

Lex,

Yeah, I think it's really cool that you were able to achieve that kind of lustrous finish with cans of spray laquer! Great job again.

Thanks Lex, I think it was due to the prep work actually.

If you can believe this, my X stole about a half a bottle of it when she left here. Geesh, is there no respect for a product? I mean, how low can you go to steal a man's wax? lol.

LMAO!

My ex.. took half!

Julian

Julian Data
                    Julian Data

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

My buddies X took his beloved Motorbike helmet... But wax is pettier so that is low...

Lex, you don't use Zymol? :E ? :E ? :E ? :B

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"