X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

Pretty Impressed with 803Ds

FWIW.

I just set up a second system with 803Ds, HTM2D, a couple of leftover 602S3 for surrounds, driven by Arcam Av9 feeding Mcintosh 402 and 303. Pretty nice sound.

My main system has 802Ds, HTM1D, 804s, with Meridian processor and all MC501s. I'm surprised so far how the 803Ds stack up to the 802Ds. I wouldn't trade the 802Ds but the 803Ds are darn good. The 803Ds are mainly lacking a bit in the mid range, which is not surprising given the separate Marlin heads on the 802Ds.

It's not entirely a fair comparison because of the difference in the other equipment and the room where I have the 803Ds is temporary, not fully treated acoustically, and too small for the 803Ds (but I think that would affect the bass response more than anything). Also one has to take into account that the 803Ds are far from broken in.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Here's a little tempting thought ... :twisted:
    At some later stage you might want to merge your two systems into something like this: Front: 2 x 802D; Centre: HTM1D; Surrounds: 2 x 803D. This equates to diamond tweets all around. I have my setup thus, except that my centre is the HTM2D.

Comment

• William
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
      Here's a little tempting thought ... :twisted:
      At some later stage you might want to merge your two systems into something like this: Front: 2 x 802D; Centre: HTM1D; Surrounds: 2 x 803D. This equates to diamond tweets all around. I have my setup thus, except that my centre is the HTM2D.
      Agreed, I have this setup (802D's, 803D's and HTM1D) and it makes for super timbre matching.

Comment

• jack d
        • Sep 2006

Yes, of course it has occurred to me to use the 803Ds as surrounds. The thing is--as I noted in another thread--I'm pairing down my system because I'm moving to Zambia. I couldn't see my way through to bringing my full main system. So the 803D, HTM2D and 804S system will be my one and only for the next 3-4 years. When I get back I might consider using the 803Ds as you suggest. I could then use my 804Ss as mains with the HTM2D for a second set up. Still it does see a bit of a waste to use such nice speakers for surrounds only. Well I've got a few years to decide.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"