X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

2½-way speaker

Is it just me who is missing a 2½-way speaker a step up from the 600 series. I have come to this conclusion after hearing 804s,CM9 and 683 that I don't like the way the FST midrange sounds, i like the Mid/bass driver better,I just seen that they have added a 12" sub to the CM line, so maybe we will se a 2½-way speaker in the CM line at CEDIA,well that's just my wish anyway.
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

Maybe find yourself a 704? That's a nice 2 1/2 way speaker.

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Interesting. I love the FST driver. Clearer, more open, and more detailed. I've compared back to back with non FST driven B&W's and liked the added detail and openness that the FST seems to have. What is it that you don't like about them and like about the bass/mid driver (although I personally have to admit they all sound very good and being a owner of the 804S, I could live life happily with just a pair of 685's and a good sub - they're all very good sounding when setup properly).

Comment

• Mikael
        • Aug 2007

Hi emig5m

I don't like the sound that you like in the FST, I like that the mid/bass driver has a bit more body and soul to it's way of presenting voices.Maybe I will give the 685 with a sub a listen,but I would prefer a 2½-way so you could hear music without the sub and still get some bass to the mix.

Comment

• sunshdw
          • Sep 2008

684s?
          Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mikael
            Hi emig5m

I don't like the sound that you like in the FST, I like that the mid/bass driver has a bit more body and soul to it's way of presenting voices.Maybe I will give the 685 with a sub a listen,but I would prefer a 2½-way so you could hear music without the sub and still get some bass to the mix.
            I suggest that that lack of body and soul is a characteristic of the particular system you were listening to - not the FST driver as such. My 804s is significantly more capable of reproducing a full bodied sound and the inner detail of instruments and voices that give them their soul when compared to my non FST 705 in the same system (my own - which includes room treatment). Partnering equipment, room and isolation/vibration control (or lack of) are all factors contributing to the sound that you heard from the FST.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"