• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rossini
    • Aug 2009

801d and 800d with Naim

801d and 800d with Naim

Hi guys,

I have a pair of 802d's on home dem at the moment. I have to say they are fantastic. I will either buy a pair of 801d's or 800d's. My room is quite large, 35ftX25ft. I am using an all Naim system to drive these, cd 555, 552 Pre, and two 500's. My question is are two Nap 500's powerful enough to drive the 801's with their big bass units? How does the sound differ between the 801 and 800's? I have heard the 800's but never 801's.

Cheers.
  • jericho
    • Dec 2004

a little more bass on the 801D, but the filter on the 800D is top and for me the look is different too, I don't like the looks of the 801D but I do like the better bass

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

my dealer has the 802D bi amped with classé CA-M400's, so there feeding it with 800 watts into 8Ω / 1600 watts into 4Ω per speaker. So I think the more power the better.
      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR
      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BWLover
        my dealer has the 802D bi amped with classé CA-M400's, so there feeding it with 800 watts into 8Ω / 1600 watts into 4Ω per speaker. So I think the more power the better.
        Bi-amping does not increase the power "in series" as you suggest. What passive bi-amping does in your dealer's case is to make available the full output of 400 watts into 8Ω (and 800 into 4Ω) to the high & mid frequency drivers via the separate speaker terminal set and another separate 400 watts available to the low frequency drivers via the other separate speaker terminal set. At no stage is more than 400 watts of power made available to any set of speaker terminals. Therefore it goes without saying that no independent driver can be driven beyond the amplifier's capability which would be 400 watts into 8Ω. :T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
          Bi-amping does not increase the power "in series" as you suggest. What passive bi-amping does in your dealer's case is to make available the full output of 400 watts into 8Ω (and 800 into 4Ω) to the high & mid frequency drivers via the separate speaker terminal set and another separate 400 watts available to the low frequency drivers via the other separate speaker terminal set. At no stage is more than 400 watts of power made available to any set of speaker terminals. Therefore it goes without saying that no independent driver can be driven beyond the amplifier's capability which would be 400 watts into 8Ω. :T
          More significantly, given the power distribution of most music, even when the LF amp/driver is running at full 400w power, the demand on the HF amp/driver will be a small fraction of that. As a result, the pair is not going to output much more than 400w at any time.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            More significantly, given the power distribution of most music, even when the LF amp/driver is running at full 400w power, the demand on the HF amp/driver will be a small fraction of that. As a result, the pair is not going to output much more than 400w at any time.

Kal
            Absolutely! I agree completely.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

I had N801's and now S800's. FWIW, both were driven with Bryston 7B ST's with ease.

As to the 801 v 800, I definately prefer the 800's, even if only for looks alone. My wife actually likes the S800's in our living room. No smal feat. My room is somewhat bass shy so I did not notice a big difference is bass. S800 seems to have a little more detail but I could be imagining it.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by BWLover
                Once you start getting to this level of amplifier (in fact with any level) the watts isn't really a very good guide...

You can only find out if the NAP500 are suitable by trying them, and comparing to other amps to see if they drive them better.

Eloise

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"