X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter M
    • Nov 2000

150ft^3

I'm in the middle of planning (dreaming ?) a semi-dedicated HT room for the much awaited day when I will be finally freed from apartment hell. Like most apartments here I have a tile on concrete floor, render on concrete walls and render on concrete ceiling !!

My current plan uses an oversized room with a false wall about 3ft in along one side. I'm going to use this space for equipment racks, cabling, software storage etc.

After allowing what I believe is sufficient room for all this I'm left with about 150ft^3 and I figure this could make a great sub enclosure - although I'm concerned that this volume might leave me in no man's land between IB and all the usual alignments.

The final room size will be about 23ft x 15ft x 10ft. Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated. Budget wise - 6 Tempests and three Mackies seems near the mark.

Peter M
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi welcome to HT-Guide!

I don't understand are you making an enclosure for a sealed/ported box or creating an IB(infinite baffle)? If you're making an IB then follow the info below

To calculate the volume necessary for a true IB multiply the Vas of a single driver times 4, then multiply that figure by the number of drivers

So 317L X4=1268L/tempest, times X 5072L=179 cu ft. so your close enough of you use 4 but really too small to use 6.

Also there's no need for that many amps. IB's contrary to peoples expectation are efficient. So try starting with just one, add another if necessary.

If you look in my profile, you'll see a link to my homepage. Click on "12 Shiva's dancing" to look at a "manifold array" type of IB sub.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Yeah Peter, welcome to our clubhouse. :B

Thomas is the man, if your wanting to do an IB type subwoofer. Stick with him, and you won't go wrong.

Say it takes a serious amount of bass to shake those concrete walls ey?

However, if you want to see an alternate plan that could work well for you, check out my Velex subwoofers that I built. These puppies really seem to rock. So much so, I am considering doing a similar configuration of 15" someday. It really wouldn't cost me that much to build them I don't think.

I will try to pop my thread back to the top for you that details this process.

Lex

Comment

• Peter M
        • Nov 2000

Thomas,

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of information I was after.

I've been in awe of "Twelve Shivas Dancing" since you first posted it.

This was my first visit to HT-Guide since a quick look after it was first set up. I posted here because I knew you had a lot of IB experience, and the guys at HTF are pretty much sonosubs only. Nothing wrong with that mind you - I have 4 Shiva sonosubs doing great things with my DC-1 and Bass Enhance - 2 sonosubs for LFE and 1 each for the sides.

I had no idea how much volume was required for a driver to achieve IB. To try and explain my intentions a little more clearly - I will have the 150ft^3 available, but I don't have to use it all as a sub, and I thought that there might be a more efficient way to utilise drivers and volume.

Do you think 4 drivers in this volume as an IB would be the best result or would the drivers perform better in an EBS alignment ? It will be easy enough for me to reduce the volume if required.

Lex,

I have also been familiar with your Velex subs since you first posted them at HTT.

The whole design of my dedicated room is a very long term project as I don't know when I will be sent back to Sydney. So don't hold your breath waiting for output results. We have a house in Sydney that we intend to renovate and add the dedicated room. At the moment all I can do is plan ... and dream. At least with a couple of years to plan it all the results should be good.

Peter M

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Peter

You will get better quality sound from an IB configuration IMO. They are also much easier to build, there's no tuning, damping, etc.

The 4X Vas isn't something set in stone. It's just a rule of thumb. I think that 3-4X Vas is an adequate amount of "space" for 4 Tempests.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DanWiggins
            • Sep 2000

Peter,

I'd second most of what Thomas posts. If I had 150 cubic feet to play with (and a wife willing to let me use it...), I'd look at 4 Tempests in an IB, driven with a single QSC RMS850 amp. That's actually PLENTY of amplifier, about 830W into 4 ohms (wire each Tempest as a 16 ohm load with its voice coils series connected, then parallel all four drivers).

For any interested in the QSC amp, check out http://www.qscaudio.com. Currently, the RMX850 is available from MarkerTek (http://www.markertek.com) for $399 each. EXCELLENT price for a ton of power!

FWIW, I own a QSC PLX3402 (yes, 3400W into 4 ohms, bridged), and find it to be a fabulous sounding amp. In fact, in full-range operation, it's nearly as transparent as my HK Citation V amp, or my Plinius 8150. The RMX series is just about as good; PLENTY clean for sub use, and I would feel comfortable recommending them for high power main use, too (especially given the price).

Dan Wiggins
            Adire Audio

Comment

• Peter M
              • Nov 2000

Thomas and Dan,

Thanks.

Any predictions for the SPL's I should expect with this setup ?

Peter M

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"