X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Tube Sub with a Twist

Capsuleri asked me if I'd be interested in doing a tube sub with him. Anxious to try my hand at one, I agreed. His one criteria that made this one a little different was that he needed to be able to lay it on it's side or stand it up, depending on his final room layout and positioning. Several months of tossing ideas and drawings around and we came up with the "Capsuleri Capsule".

Needing a stable platform to use it laying down we decided on an octagonal endcap. A removeable base and legs would allow a vertical or horizontal position. The Tempest would also get a finished grill to protect it while positioned horizontally.

He wanted to line the interior with foam and thought some added bracing would help keep the tubes shape while laying down.

We decided to use maple to make the caps and legs, as he wanted to use a rather nice fabric he found.

He had the tube professionally upholstered using 1/4" foam with the fabric stitched around it. Unfortunately, the upholsterer had no clue how this sub would come together, and cut the fabric kinda short. We decided to use a recess around the caps to trap the fabric and foam, to hide the fabric edge.

Here's the shot of the back of the sub. Notice the heavy duty binding posts that are wired to each voicecoil.

And here's the front.

It's a sealed Tempest, 9 ft^3 fully stuffed. It stands about 58" tall and amazingly, he managed to fit it in his car to get it home, although we had to remove the base and legs.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center
  • collije
    • May 2003

Nice job!

Heh, I'm in West Chester, PA. Wanna entertain possibly building another one?

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

I'm already behind schedule on some of my own projects!

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'm already behind schedule on some of my own projects!
        Boy, does that ever sound familiar! At least this Sunday I had a spurt of sawdust making!

Nice work, Pete- some creative thinking to a thorny set of requirements. It reminds me of the "TubeZilla" ThomasW built for BPD1503's!

So when are you going to get caught up with your own projects? :W

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Well Jon, I've been staring at 4 AV12s and 2 sheets of BB ply for months....

I have yet to finalize a design for my entertainment center, much to the chagrin of my wife! One of these days I'll get into production mode and crank it out, but I can't seem to get beyond all the compromises I'll need to make. I had originally thought the B&Gs would look and work well built into some columns flanking the main unit, but of course, visions of what would be the next "gotta do" project keeps me from locking in to a permanant design.

At some point I'll just do it and figure something out for the next go'round!

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"