X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Question For Jon

Dr. Jon, several weeks ago, you'd posted a reply to this thread and I've been wanting to follow up, but haven't had the time. Could I borrow your brain for a minute?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi David,

As an old friend used to say, what's on, your mind? :W

Seriously, borrow it anytime, I just have to warn you it's pretty pooped out from working this weekend and a terrible Monday! And not workig on DIY fun stuff, either!

It's that time of year when conference paper preparations and customer design cycles seem to stack up like some kind of eveil planetary alignment... you know, like in the Tomb Raider movie...

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by A while back Dr. Jon you
      The best results I've heard so far for playback have been with data black CDR blanks, recorded at 1X. Think about it, a burner capable of 24X burning with OK timing should have VERY good timing and pit definition at 1X. I've noticed some improvements using premium standard TDK CDR's burning at 2-4X using the Yamaha Audio Mastering mode (which increases pit length and definition), but the best sound I've heard from my CD's is remastered at 1X on black CDR's.

Jon, I've been meaning to ask you more about this but hadn't gotten around to it.

01) What brand of "black" CD-Rs do you recommend?

02) Would you consider the CD burner in my Yamaha CD-S1000 to be audiophile-grade or Audio Mastering Mode capable? I can't tell you what the specific drive unit is, but here are the specs and a link to Yamaha's web page regarding the CDR-S1000.

AUDIO SECTION

Output Level (1 kHz, 0 dB) = 2, +/-0.5 Vms, Frequency Response (5 to 20 kHz) = +/-0.5 dB
      Playback Mode Harmonic Distortion + Noise = 0.004%, Dynamic Range = 100 dB, Signal-to-Noise Ratio = 107 dB
      Recording Mode Harmonic Distortion + Noise = 0.008%, Dynamic Range = 94 dB, Signal-to-Noise Ratio = 90 dB

INPUTS/OUTPUTS

Line Output Level = 2 Vms
      Line Input Sensitivity = 550 mVms
      Digital Output, Coaxial = 0.5 Vp-p (75 ohms)
      Digital Output, Optical = -20 dBm
      Digital Output Sampling Frequency = 44.1 kHz
      Digital Input, Coaxial = 0.5 Vp-p (75 ohms)
      Digital Input, Optical = -20 dBm
      Digital Input Gain +/-12 dB with digital volume
      Sampling Frequency 32 kHz to 48 kHz, with SRC
      Sampling Frequency 44.1 kHz, +/-100 ppm (CD Direct)

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Yamaha's First CD-R/CD-RW Recorder/Player

Hi David,

Working backwards on your questions, (maybe I'm a touch dyslexic), the Audio Mastering Mode is a special mode enabled by a combination of hardware and softare for select Yamaha computer CDR/RW drives which burns a bit wider pits, theoretically allowing making a lower jitter burn, though it does reduce the recording time slightly (8-15%) available on a give CDR.

There's nothing about this kind of control in the spec of your standalone Yamaha CDR/RW burner. In fact, like most standalone set top box burners, there's no information to indicate that there's any possibility of controlling the recording speed at all- though if designed to record from an externally fed SPDIF signal, or line level audio signal, it appears it records only at 1X, though apparently it "finalizes" (closes the CD recording with file directory data) at 4X, leading me to believe that the fundamental mechanisim is a 4X mechanism.

The current version of Yamah's CDR/RW drive with Audio Mastering is the CRW-F1.

It's a available in a standalone portable with Firewire/USB2 or just USB2, as well as "build in" models (platinum white and black) with IDE or SCSI3.

Specs are over here....

This website is for sale! yamahamultimedia.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, yamahamultimedia.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I've tried both Memorex and Maxell data black CDR's, can't say I have a definite preference, though I've mostly been using the Maxell. The software (Nero) which comes with the Yamaha, customized to support it, also has a "low jitter" extraction mode; I can't say I know what it does, because as long as you get good bits (without errors), extraction shouldn't be the issue...

I haven't been extracting and remastering "all" my CD's, but a lot of the ones I listen to, especially in the car, get that treatment; and for safety's sake, I normally "extract" the CD layer of my Hybrid SACDs this way, and use the 1X burned black CD- man, does that new Police remaster of the "Every Breath You Take" collection sound good!

But maybe it's all just placebo effect, and I'm looney tunes... if it is, placebo effect is a lot stronger than I'd expect- certainly bigger than the difference between a good and an excellent interconnect on a high end system, for example. And since it's so cheap in comparison (priced a set of Cardas Neutral Reference Interconnects lately?), and quite practical (for CD safety), for me, it's the way to go.

BTW. , my comments regarding the playback quality are with either a Sony SCD777ES SACD player, or an eXtremenly modified Philips CD753 transport- total new power supply, all elec. caps on transport replaced with OSCON's, all VLSI IC's electrostatically shielded, major chasis dampening mods and high desnity/low resonance base, and the original audio section thrown away.... BTW, this unit is a better sounding transport than the 50 lb Sony.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"