X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justin
    • Feb 2003

Transistors& op-amps

Hi I'm a beginner in the diy electronics field. I need help with how transistors are used. Is there any beginner books out at the book stores or on the web. I need to know how operational amps are used too. Thank you

jus

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
    Jus

• Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

Justin, welcome to the addicting world of DIY! Head on down to Radio Shack and pick up their beginner books. They used to have some written by Forrest Mims, a classic electronics educator to the DIY crowd.
    Warning: don't get into speaker-building - it's no fun :banana:

Comment

• justin
      • Feb 2003

Thanks hank for information. I'll give radio shack a closer look or maybe ask a sales person there.

thanks

jus

Jus

Jus

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

A good site for audio related design information, both some basics and some decent nitty gritty stuff is Douglas Self's site in England.

He's got a wealth of basic info and tips and techniques relevant to DIY audio design.

For OpAmps, a classic has been Walter Jung's "OpAmp Cookbook"- should be on your reading list; even Borders or Barnes and Noble will have it in at times. Don't be afraid to check the engineering sciences sections of those stores; they often have some good stuff.

And Hanks' quite right about the older books from Rat Shack; they have some very good ones on AC/DC circuit basics- maybe you don't want to review your s-plane math, but if you want to design RLC circuits from scratch the old fashion way, they cover all the important basics. Then, to make life easy, you can do your implementation in Excel or MathCAD.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• justin
          • Feb 2003

Thank alot for the info on the books and the web site Jon. It look's like I have a ton of reading in front of me, but just having a place to refer too will help alot in understanding. I am building a thermo cooling fan. I found the project at elliott sound products http://www.sound.westhost.com/ I appreciate all the information on this.

Jus

Jus

Jus

Comment

• Kevin_McC
            • Jan 2003

Justin,

Something else you may find very useful to test out what you learn from reading is a Spice simulation program to simulate your circuits on the PC.
            It seems alot of folks over on AA uses switchcad by Linear technology or to create just power supplies, PSII designer from Duncanamps webpage. Below are the web addresses.
            http://www.linear.com/software/
            http://www.duncanamps.com/software.html

I'm using Multisim from Electronics Workbench which you can sometimes find on Ebay.

Comment

• justin
              • Feb 2003

Kevin thanks for the infor on the programs for download.they will help. I layed out the circuit on a breadboard and after three try's I got the circuit to operate as it should with a regulated power supply! Now I have to figure out is the transformer and the rectification/filtering of this. Cool stuff I'm hooked. I bought a book from radio shack on building power supplies it help's. With more reading I think I will understand the formula's for that. Thanks alot everyone for all the input on this.

Jus

Jus

Jus

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"