X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dream pre amp

If you could have any features you wanted in a pre amp what would it have?

- I'd love individual cross overs for all channels
    - Discrete wide band equilizer for each channel
    - A seperate power bar that would plug into the back of the pre amp that could power on and off plugs based on what you've set up for rules in the pre amp...for example on power up of the pre amp you could have plugs 1,2 and 3 all turn on. Choosing Video 3 would turn on plug 4...this could be great for custom installers
    - Of course all the current flavours of DD and DTS
    - Analog bass management on multichannel inputs similar to Outlaws IBCM
    - More component inputs - even if it means dropping one composite input...
    - Larger display but also have option to turn it off (and or dim it)
    - Have ability to turn off all lights on face of unit after pre set time...it when watching a movie I don't need to see all the LCD display or power lights etc...if I change volume then turn it back on for a moment. This should be a setting in the software not just something you turn on or off each time.

• SayersWeb
    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
    If you could have any features you wanted in a pre amp what would it have?

- I'd love individual cross overs for all channels
    Yes! I need this now....

- A seperate power bar that would plug into the back of the pre amp that could power on and off plugs based on what you've set up for rules in the pre amp...for example on power up of the pre amp you could have plugs 1,2 and 3 all turn on. Choosing Video 3 would turn on plug 4...this could be great for custom installers
    Excellent idea... sign me up for that one too!

I'm with you brother! :LOL:

- More component inputs - even if it means dropping one composite input...
    Yes, at least one more would help!

And send the OSD to the component output. 8O

- Have ability to turn off all lights on face of unit after pre set time...it when watching a movie I don't need to see all the LCD display or power lights etc...if I change volume then turn it back on for a moment. This should be a setting in the software not just something you turn on or off each time.
    That would be useful also!

I'd also like a mute function that brings down the level but not completely off. Especially to avoid those loud commercials.

An additional optical input would be useful.

Upconvert all source inputs to component video so that only a single set of component cables need to be run to video display.

Faster reacting volume control from remote. Or allow us to change the relative volume level setting per source input. It's quite startling when switching from DVD to my Dish Network receiver and the volume level jumps up drastically. 8O

All of the other things I can think of lend itself to an HT PC. I want to be able to have cards that plug in for I/O expansion. The pre/pro processing should all be configurable/upgradeable as new formats come out. Ethernet port for updates..... etc.

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Andrew Pratt wrote:

And send the OSD to the component output.

The reason why this isn't done is because OSD degrades video quality.

Another optical input would be nice as well.

The upconversion to component would be very nice.

The card based upgrade path would make a lot of sense from everyone's perspective. I'd love to be able to simply upgrade my pre amp the same way I can with the PC. It would make Rotel's development easier since they'd only have to work on a single board vs a whole new platform...Lexicon does it so it is possible

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
        • Sep 2002

Andrew, nice things you want, but for me the dream pre-amp:
        - performs excellent with analogue stereo (non AD / DA conversion);
        - performs excellent with HT material

Especially the first one is important to me, because that's were most pre-amp/pro fail short (except some real expensive ones).

Add to this:
        - also MPEG-2 multi channel decoding;
        - THX Surround features;
        - seperate bass management for seperate inputs (I don't know what Outlaw is or does, maybe Andrew meant the same)
        - upgrade and expansion possibilities like Tag McLaren has for the AVR32

Comment

• JKohn
          • Jun 2002

Larger display but also have option to turn it off (and or dim it)
          You do know you can turn the display off on the 1066, right? Just press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds. I love this feature.

Jeff Kohn
          Jeff Kohn
          http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• JKohn
            • Jun 2002

I agree with a lot of what you guys have already posted. Probably the biggest things for me would be

- Not only an EQ, but an auto-calibrate feature similar to the MCACC functionality on the new Pioneer Elite receivers.

- Make pretty much all settins input-specific: bass management, tone controls, channel levels, etc.

- More digital audio inputs

- More component video inputs (at least 3)

- Firewire connection for hi-res audio

- More granular speaker delay times

- Better bass management for the multi-channel analog inputs (no bass doubling, and have at least one optional x-over freq)

Jeff Kohn
            Jeff Kohn
            http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
              • Jun 2002

• Balanced Inputs / outputs
                True Analog passthrough (tube based)
                True hardware / software upgradability
                Multiple multi-channel inputs
                Electrically seperate video switching section
                Built-in ethernet w/ web based configuration GUI
                TCP/IP streaming music client
                Customizable LCD display

Comment

• SayersWeb
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Sayersweb
                And send the OSD to the component output.
                The reason why this isn't done is because OSD degrades video quality.
                Is this only when the OSD is showing? I could live with that. Better than having to switch inputs each time.... :?

Comment

• fyonn
                  • Nov 2002

well I'd go for:
                  • individual crossovers, at least per speaker pair, ie one for mainLR, one for surround, one for surround back and one for centre.
                  • the ability to define a "default" speaker setup (ie, number of speakers, size, crossovers, music mode etc) and then set each input to either default, or to change that setup in some way, ie relative volume controls vs default, change speaker setup (ie cd input is set for 2 large stereo speakers, no sub)
                  • here's a biggie and something I think will become a big thing in the near future. room equalisation. ie the amp can measure the specs for the room and the modulate the output to overcome any failings in the room. ie if the room produces a lacking in midbass, the pre/pro will enhance those frequencies in volume a bit to make up for it (by a bit, I do of course mean a precise amount depending on the previous measurements). this would, of course, only be available when the sound is passed through the digital section
                  • faster volume control
                  • tag like support for it. I love their idea's in this regard. they sell one pre/pro and you can have an original model upgraded to the very latest spec in either softtware or hardware
                  • logic 7? the lexicon people don't half go on about it

hows that for a preliminary list off the top of my head. oh, and how could I forget, a cheap upgrade to that one from our current pre/pro

dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Is this only when the OSD is showing?
                    unfortunatly no it would degrade the picture quality all the time.

Comment

• SayersWeb
                      • Dec 2002

Is this only when the OSD is showing?
                      unfortunatly no it would degrade the picture quality all the time.
                      Ohhh.... Arghhh! :cry:

Comment

• SayersWeb
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by fyonn
                        • here's a biggie and something I think will become a big thing in the near future. room equalisation. ie the amp can measure the specs for the room and the modulate the output to overcome any failings in the room. ie if the room produces a lacking in midbass, the pre/pro will enhance those frequencies in volume a bit to make up for it (by a bit, I do of course mean a precise amount depending on the previous measurements). this would, of course, only be available when the sound is passed through the digital section
                        This one worries me a bit. EQ can be vastly different for each seating position in a room. Even a few inches can make a difference. So, adjusting for an optimum spot may have negative effects on the rest of the room.

I think you would need to EQ each speaker individually with precise placement (adjusted for each speaker) of a high quality microphone. I once had an EQ that had a condenser mic and onboard pink (or was it white?) noise generator for this purpose.

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                          • Jun 2002

Way off topic....

EQ is a dangerous tool that IMHO should be avoided (with the exception of for frequencies under 120 - 140Hz or so). Your brain can tell the difference between the sound coming from the speakers and sound caused by an acoustically unsound room. So if your room sounds bad, fix the room (don't "fix" the sound coming from the speakers).

Nodes caused by room resonances at genearlly accepted non-directional frequencies are the exception. At those frequencies, your brain can't tell where the sound is coming from, so EQ should be used in moderation to tame the beastly nodes.

Not to squash your idea...I used to think that a feature such as that would be key. The more I listen and the more I learn, the more I don't feel that way anymore.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                            • Feb 2002

A second set of multi-channel inputs for separate DVD-A and SACD players. I think an older 9000 Sony had it, but that feature is not present on anything current.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Daryl the Sony 9000 didn't have any multichannel ins but the 777ES receiver did if I recall. Eitherway its a good suggestion

Comment

• fyonn
                                • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Nicholas Renter
                                Way off topic....

EQ is a dangerous tool that IMHO should be avoided
                                hmm... obviously I need to do some more research into this topic, perhaps when I have some spare time (one day...

it seems like a good idea in concept, and ISTR that TacT sell some rather expensive preamp's which do it, and look rather good too. is it a matter of just how well it's implemented or is it a nono in general?

cheers
                                dave

Comment

• gil
                                  • Dec 2000

Also, analog bass management for analog stereo inputs for those of us using 2-way monitor speakers. I'll take a pure analog hi-pass on the mains and a digital low pass for the sub - this is a big reason I like the Denon. 60Hz and 80Hz are good frequency points.

Comment

• gil
                                    • Dec 2000

Audio sync delay is also a very useful feature for HDTV programs where the audio is often ahead of the video due to the differing processing requirements of the two.

Comment

• Bruce
                                      • Aug 2000

The Anthem AVM-20 with the PC control user interface and mode-setting/storing features of the B&K Ref50.

I think it would cover just about everybody's requests.

Bruce
                                      ____________________________________________
                                      Bruce

Comment

• Robbo
                                        • Nov 2002

Definitely audio-delay; up to 500ms or so would be nice. This to compensate for video-processors which generally delays the picture for at least 4-5 frame.

BTW Any news yet on the upcoming Rotel pre/pro ??

Rob

Listen and you will see.
                                        Listen and you will see.

Comment

• Gary Press
                                          • Oct 2002

Another dream detail -

The ability to upconvert composite video to "S" - and then on an additional, selectable level upconvert "S" to component video.

Keep Dreaming & Listening,

Gary

Comment

• John LaCava
                                            • Sep 2002

Actually Andrew, there was a Sony that had dual 6 channel inputs, it was the TAP9000ES preamp.

I wanted one of these but the price tag prevented me from buying, I figured it was money better spent on the RSP-1066

But I have an answer for the DVD-A and SACD inputs issue. I am ordering a hi grade DB25 switch box from

COMMERCIAL GRADE DB25 2 POSITION MANUAL SWITCH
                                            plus three cables: two 6 RCA to DB25, and 1 DB25 to 6 RCA, all OFC grade with gold plating.

2 cables from 6 channel source into switchbox, one cable from switch box to RSP-1066.

Goodluck
                                            J

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"