X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

Network UTP cable for speakers

Would you recommend using UTP cable, normal cable for PC Networks, to be used as an alternative to normal speaker cables? The cable is Avaya - SYSTIMAX 4 Pair Grey UTP 1071E GigaSPEED XL Cable, high quality cable network cable. I plan to group colour conductors for the positive pole and the white conducts for the negative pole. Each conductor diameter is 0,55 mm (0.022 in).
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

I don't know what gauge wire that is, but the suitability depends mainly on the power requirements. What speakers? How far are they from your power amp?

Comment

• pbarata
      • Feb 2003

Thx for you help.

UTP cable is build up with 4 pairs of 24 AWG copper. I’ll use Rotel RMB-1075 ( 5 channels x 120 W RMS) to drive an A/V kit from Monitor Audio with Silver 8i (front), 5i (rear) and 10i (centre) speakers. Silver 8i can absorve maximum of 170 W RMS and Silver 5i 150 W. For each speaker I’ll use one UTP cable as described above. Is there are minimum diameter recommended for RMB-1075 amplifier, as it can generate reasonable amount of current?
      Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
      Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

I think it would be marginal. 4 of the 24 ga. conductors is about 18 ga. equivalent. If you used two cables for each speaker, that is, 8 wires per pole, you'd have about a 15 ga. equivalent, and I'd recommend that as a minimum.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"