X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

For those wild cabinet design

Anyone think this stuff would work in the MDF variant for doing simple curved cabinet walls?

Domain for Sale. InteriorProducts.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

BB
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

I don't think so unless you filled the kerfs with something to stiffen it. Once you cut the back of the sheet to bend it, the panel is very flexible and would need to be damped. A stack lamination of 1/8" or 1/4" would probably be better. Either way, you have to make up ribs to introduce the shape, although with Kerfcore you'd need fewer. There is another product that is only made of kerfed MDF and is thinner, something like 1/4" to 3/8", but I can't remember it's name. The beauty of these products is the ability to laminate or veneer them while flat and then bend them onto a form. Using this method, it's easy to do inlays on curved surfaces.

Another way to use it for speakers may be to build a standard enclosure and add curved sides as add on panels.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

Here's the other stuff I mentioned: http://www.thelaminexgroup.com.au/do..._Craftform.pdf

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Brandon, that's exactly what I'm considering using when I build my line array. I want to have a very large radius on one vertical side, and I saw an article in Speakerbuilder mag wherein a guy used that material for that purpose. I'll have to think about what to line it with to dampen against resonances.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Those materials look really nice. I've used a DIY version (did my own saw kerfs) for everything from curved concrete forms to a curved interior corner in a house. It becomes quite rigid when you fasten the inner and outer layers together. Cutting all those kerfs is a royal pain and I would have bought the prefab stuff in a New York microsecond if I'd known about it. :banghead: :LOL:

The natural place for damping material would be between the two layers, as a filler/glue squishing into the saw kerfs. Sort of a constrained layer on steroids. It would be interesting to experiment with different materials. You'd need something that could set up without much air.

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

Don't know if you guys have seen this stuff. Prefomed enclosure shapes from Cubicon

Or this preformed plywood from Tapeease.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"