• Sep 2000

Now this is what I call a line array.

Very cool!

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

A lot of interesting claims... I shudder to think what it must cost to build them....

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Cool! I've been thinking a Lexan or acrylic open baffle would look nice if you're into the modern look. Maybe just a simple affair, similar to one of Steve's protos, with all the drivers mounted on one baffle and tapered wings extending back to boost the bass and hold it up. Maybe taper the front baffle a little from bottom to top as well.

I wonder how thick plexi you could bend without creating big optical distortions? It would look awesome and maybe be good acoustically if the whole thing could be a single piece of bent plexi with say 3" radii. No bottom, no horizontal braces, just a piece of plastic and the drivers.

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

Glass is very rigid and very, very strong and I see the innovative thinking, but:
        A unique driver mounting technique that directly clamps the magnetic drive to the “sword” of the baffle and eliminates structural resonances.
        I dunno...

Dennis, Plexiglas is not as strong as glass and such an enclosure would really *flex*. The cool factor would be enjoyed by the automotive bass-heads though

Comment

• KW
          • Mar 2003

The dipole linesoure section actually consists of two baffles: the front baffle and a "cross baffle" (the sword) which is in a perpendicular arrangement to the front baffle. Think of a "T" where the two orthogonal lines have no contact.

The cone drivers have, except for a very soft air thight seal, no contact with the front baffle. The center of the magnet is instead dircetlly mounted against the narrow side of 40mm wide and 10" deep baffle of the "silenced" glass. The reation forces of the voice coil are directly working against 10" of massive glass! That's incredibly rigid.

I tried to figure that cofiguration out after I had learned that cone drivers are in reality only mounted up to a few hundred Hz. Above that, even the best baskets completely decouple from the magnet in a more or less resonant manner. The same thing happens if one tries to mount the magnet directly to "soft materials" like MDF etc. These materials are simply to soft to support the driver throughout the midrange.

I have verified via accelerometer measuremants that the "glass clamping" works beyod 1.5kHz, which well above the 900 xover f.

Thanks to everybody for the kind words!

KW

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Kolja

Your speakers are remarkable, and visually stunning.

Please note that these are terms I rarely use. Congratulations on a job very well done!

Regards
            ThomasW

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• KW
              • Mar 2003

Dear Thomas,

As somebody who has been “strained” to collect an extensive number of failed prototype glass baffles in the basement during the development, and has driven a world renowned expert of a large specialty glass company crazy (not kidding!), your words feel really good!

Even with all the solutions and know how the production process is still challenging. However, I already have a considerable number interesting news in the (glass) pipeline, which I will try to upload during spring.

Thanks once again!

Kindest regards,

Kolja

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"