X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Speaker repair glue for drivers

I have four drivers that have seperated the cones from it's rubber surrounds. I am pretty strapped for cash right now so, I cannot replace them for awhile.

I was wondering if this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=9908&DID=7 has been used by anyone with success?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Unfortunate that they don't describe what it is. However, though it might "look" like plain ole Elmer's, it also looks like the white glue which came with my refoaming kits with which I repaired my Audax 12" drivers when building my X1 SLAMM Klones.

So, since they're selling this expressly for the purpose, there's a pretty good chance it will be OK.

Certainly worth a shot- not much to lose. Good luck getting them running. What kind of drivers are they? Home or automtove?

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon,

Unfortunate that they don't describe what it is. However, though it might "look" like plain ole Elmer's
      This was my first thought too! That is why I asked the question. As you pointed out, the cost is no more than a value meal thus, no issue there. I was just curious as to if it was worth the effort.

As to the type of speaker. It's for my di/bipole Fosgate SD-180's. I believe they house a Morel for it's woofs. I think the heat in Baton Rouge caused the glue to fail. Our AC was out for a few days but, I ran the HT anyway . There where a few days of mid 90's. I can't imagine what the temp in the dedicated room with no windows were. Initially, I was going to order one b/c that's all I thought I needed. Then I decided to check them all. I found the adhesive failed on each woofer.

I'll go ahead and give it a shot.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

I've used some white craft glue from Michaels (crafts chain). I can't remember the brand - plastic squeeze bottle, gold label. Anyway, I tried it because it didn't seem to get brittle hard like Elmer's. Coincidentally, it smelled just like the stuff that NorthCreek sells for cabinet dampening.
        I found it - Aleene's Tacky Glue: http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/Product.aspx?c=5&p=154336

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Hank! I'll check that out as well.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Just thought I would let everyone know. I did try standard elmer's glue with great success. The drivers have been working perfectly for a yr now and still going strong..

These are surround speakers that are x/over at 80hz.

Comment

• cdwitmer
              • Sep 2004

I just used plain old Elmers type PVA glue to re-edge a pair of Pioneer woofers with "carbon graphite" polymer cones. At first I thought, "This will never work, as they are non-porous." But then I noticed the outer edges of the cones had a rough surface where the surrounds overlap, so I figured, "What the hey," and just did it. So far it seems to be holding just fine. I have a lingering worry since these are sealed cabinets and I assume there is more force being applied to the joint by air pressure changes than if the cabinet design was bass reflex. We shall see how they hold up over time. However, the alternative in my view was to use either a contact cement or a resin and hardener combination, and I didn't want to get involved with those.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

So far it seems to be holding just fine. I have a lingering worry since these are sealed cabinets and I assume there is more force being applied to the joint by air pressure changes than if the cabinet design was bass reflex.
                This was my concern as well. But, it has held very well in my sealed di-poles. Glad to hear it has worked for you as well Cdwitmer. :T

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"