X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

DIY component cables

Ok here's something a little different then the usual DIY speaker threads. I've got a lot of Belden "brillence" video cable that I got from a friend who works in a TV station. Its got a solid core. Anyway in a few months I'm going to need a set of component cables so I'm going to build them. Now here's the questions what differences are there b/t the solid cores vs multi strand cores? Whats a good RCA plug to use? I've seen ones where the centre pin pops out and you attatch that to the centre wire...where are those found?

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There is no difference in "quality" between solid core and stranded core wire. Stranded is much easier to work with, especially if you need to snake it around the room.

I use the Canare LV-61S from http://www.markertek.com $.25/ft It can be ordered in colors, this makes identifying the runs very easy. I also get the Canare F9 or F10 RCA from them. These have gold plated connections with heavy cast brass construction and a strain relief spring, $2.95 ea. They are a solder on connection. These are also from Markertek

I used to use the RCA's with the center pin you describe, but they weren't all that reliable. That was 5+ years ago and I don't know a source now.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

I suggest cruising over to Parts Express and giving them a look. They should have some quality RCAs.

I will look in their catalog later on and see what's there. Nothing like good ole hard copy.

Nothing like the Vols whipping Arkansas 63 to 20 either! Sorry if we have hog fans here. But after the goal posts came down at Arkansas last year with their victory over the Vols, this Saturday was payback. To bad it didn't mean as much as it did last year. The loss probably lost us a shot at the National Championship game last year.

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

P.E. lists lots of coax, but doesn't specify a particular wire that's a true 75 ohm.

The wires listed as RG-58AU and RG 59AU have stranded center wires so will be more flexible.

Since most of their wires are from Belden and P.E. lists the Belden wire numbers, a cross reference of the number at the Beldon website would indicate if the wires are true 75 ohm

The P.E. gold plated RCAs are part #091-400, $4.95/pr

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

In all likely hood I'll use the belden cable that I've got...at least for now. Its 75 ohm that much I know. Flexibility won't be much of an issue so the solid core won't be much of a hinderence. Getting quality RCA plugs at a reasonable price is now my primary goal. The Markertek site is awful for a newbi..where's the pics? Thomas you stated that you like the F10 or F9 RCA's I can't seem to find them on the site though...what about shink tubing as well?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Andrew

If you're using a "standard" RG-59 or RG-6 the Canare RCAs won't work, and neither will most reasonably priced RCA's. The Canare are designed for a cable .29" diameter. Also trying to solder RCA's on to cable/satelite TV coax is a nightmare. This is the reason I suggested both the Canare wire and their connectors

Also getting RCA's that have large enough opening to accept RG-59 or RG-6 means using something like Cardis, Vampire, or one of the other extreme high-end connectors. These can cost $15-$20ea

There are no pictures of connectors on the Markertek site. To find the list type "Canare F-10" into the search function. Then a link to all the Canare connectors will pop up

If you must use RB-59 or RG-6 you will be far better off to use standard crimp-on "F" connectors and then simply buy "F" to RCA adaptors.

Here's a picture of the Canare F-9 with the LV-61S Coax

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"