Please critique my trouble shooting (real long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Please critique my trouble shooting (real long)

One of the worst things about these new fangled digital cossovers is that they are so easy to tweak you can find yourself getting paranoid about getting it just right.

However, as the paranoid type, I keep feeling that I get it right one night, then it's not quite as good the next night. In particular, I have had the nagging feeling the bass is a bit funny in the right hand speaker. I assumed this was a room thing.

So I stuck both speakers next to each other today, and still the bass was a bit weird from the right speaker. It sounded like a suckout at the crossover (100Hz), so deep bass fine, but upper bass not so good. But I switched left to right bass and no problem. Not speaker.

So then I spent the whole day switching left to right and rewiring the subs etc etc. The channel coming out of the right channel of my prepro was weird.

So I ran a mono sweep through both speakers and used the balance control and the RS meter to check, and sure enough the right channel was down between 150 and 60 or so.

I switched channels coming into the prepro and still the right channel seems funny.

And then I recorded pink noise through the same speaker, buit switching between left out and right out.

Here's what I got:

And then:

Forgetting the fact I just whacked a mic in front of the speaker, there is a dip when playing stuff from the right channel, and I can only think it is a prepro problem.

Have I forgotten a variable here?

Thanks

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Hey Steve,

You can check the output of your various electronic boxes (pre/pro, XO/EQ, amps, etc) directly, bypassing the speakers. Play some pink noise and stick a voltmeter on the box's output. Adjust the volume so the output won't overdrive your sound card's input (some fraction of a volt?). Then plug the box into your sound card's input and run TrueRTA. To be safe, you could make a simple resistor bridge to reduce the measured voltage. You don't want to toast your sound card.

If the boxes all check out, then it must be a room or speaker problem.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

Well, now I'm stumped. Maybe I was just imagining things. I recorded pink noise from the left channel then the right into TrueRTA via a mixer. The two were essentially identical.

Plus I think with all the switching around and test tones I think I blew a woofer... one of my DPL12s is making a buzzing sound, although it appears to still work.

:x

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"