X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Grill covers...

For the previous speakers that I've needed to attatch grills to I've always used those grill snaps that look like a ball and socket. For my latest project though I wanted to try something a little more elegant so I opted to give the neodymium magnets from Creative Sound Solutions a try. I placed an order for a set and some 3" flared ports last monday and they arrived on wednesday so kuddo's to bob for prompt service! Anyway this weekend I built the grill frames and installed the magnets which was easy since they're a hair larger then a 3/8" bit so they are nice and snug. I simply snapped the magnet to the bottom of my hammer and pushed them into place. The only thing you have to watch out for is that you put them in the right way so they don't repel the grill (don't laugh but I did it wrong the first time since the grill was upside down and I wasn't thinking!) I wasn't sure how strong these little guys would be but four magnets per grill are plenty strong enough to hold it firmly inplace and thats with the magnets placed behind the leather covering the face of the speaker cabinate. They also say you can place them behind veneer.

Link to product

• Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

You can also get similar magenets in various shapes and sizes at Leevalley.com and other woodwroknig places.

They have some spherical ones (still are a polar magent though) that were strong enough to hold one against my palm with the other on top of my hand (almost an inch of flesh&bone). Don't do that though, 'cuz then they roll down your hand and pinch the living sh_t out of the web of skin between your fingers.

BB

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

Andrew,

The A/V-1 and A/V-1+ cabinets that we build use the same magnets in the baffles and grills. Pretty cool, ain't they!

Brian

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

I'll have to try these! I always thought that grills held on by magnets would eventually vibrate off. Do you use anything other than the magnets to align or otherwise hold the grill in place?

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Pete the four that I'm using seem strong enough that I very much doubt it will ratttle free.

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

I use 1/4" thick x 1/4" dia neodymium magnets, and those puppies are amazingly strong - your grill won't fall off.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Switching topics a little but remaining on grill covers I picked up a new router bit last night to complete the grills. Where we'd left off before was that I'd rounded the top edge over with a 1/4" round over bit and had inserted the magnets. Since then I've painted them flat black and last night I put on the grill cloth. Previously I've always just glued the fabic to the back of the grills with a hot glue gun which while it works isn't as proffesional as I wanted for this project so I decided to try something I'd read about long ago using the same technique used to keep window bug screens in place. As I mentioned above I bought a 1/8 straight cut bit and some of the rubber tubing that you use to wedge in the slot. I wasn't sure if the 1/8" bit was going to be big enough since the tube was quite a bit larger but the next sized bit up from that seemed way to large. As it turned out the 1/8" bit was perfect for the job. I simply placed my router upside down and added a quick fence to it so that I had something to guide me while cutting the slot on the bottom edge. I didn't have a lot of room between the magnets and the edge of the grill frame on the top and bottom but with a little practice on some left over scraps of wood I found the right distance and proceeded to cut a slot about 1/4" deep all the way round the bottom of the grill frame. From there it was a relatively easy task to get the fabric nice and tight with the rubber tubing pushing the fabic into place in the groove. I used the same technique as adding canvas to a frame to make sure it wasn't going bunch up anywhere (Read how here) and I suggest you don't try to do it all with one long peice of tube, rather cut them into 2" - 4" sections to get you started long the sides then fill in the rest once its nice and taught. All in all I'm very impressed with how neat it turned out. I didn't want to have fabic bunched up underneath the grill frames so this method worked out fantasic. I'll try and post some pictures this weekend.

Comment

• MarcE
                • Jun 2007

sorry for bumping an old thread, but seems like a good place to ask...

my front baffle is 7" wide and 13.5" high. Side walls are 0.5" MDF. There is no round over on the front baffle. I bought the grill magnets from Parts Express. Where would you recommend I install them, in relationship to the corner of the baffle?

Comment

• J-Dub
                  • Jan 2006

I'd probably just measure in 1 inch or so from both sides of each corner just to make them uniform. I'd also make sure that there is something in between the two magnets like the grill cloth. I haven't heard of many problems here but its better safe than sorry.
                  "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"