X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

Oh my GAWD...it's back!

After almost 2 years I finally got these damn things finished (well, sorta), after many ideas, different plans, even started construction once but now they're done. All the fancy plans, cabinet designs, etc....scrapped. I got put into a time crunch here, I'm moving into an apartment next week and I didn't have any speakers as my ol' trusty Kit281's were given to a friend, so I plugged the specs into WinISD Pro and the Excel spreadsheet and drew up some plans. And built away over Sunday and today.

First, construction, nothing really new here, except this is the first time I used a biscuit joiner to build the cabinets. And I all I have to say about using one is BUY ONE. I used to build with simple butt joints held together with clamps and maybe a couple of screws. Not anymore, these cabinets are pretty close to perfect in terms of joints, a little sanding and I'm all set, it's amazing how something like that made such a difference.

As to the sound...given that they aren't setup in about the worlds worst place (sitting on the floor about a foot apart)...they sound freaking amazing. So I'm laying on the floor about 4-5ft away from them after making sure I had everything connected right at very low volumes, and I wanted to try and listen a little critically to make sure that all that storage time had no ill effects...HA! About 30 seconds into the music my eyes were closed and I was into it, so I suppose they are working just fine. They are a little weak in the bass area (the subwoofer is in storage, no room for that monster in here) but I knew that going in. The detail is amazing, I'll have to go with the over-used saying in that I am hearing stuff in the music I've never heard before....even the "smack" noise sometimes right before a singer starts belting out a few notes. As to the rest, like imagine and soundstage, since they aren't setup at all I can't comment to much on that other than the little bit that comes out with them 1ft apart - 6in from the wall is VERY promising.

It's been awhile since I really felt the music, gotten goose-bumps from a certain song...but it's back.

A couple of pics available here - http://www.geocities.com/ajay213/aria.htm

Andrew
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

It's been awhile since I really felt the music, gotten goose-bumps from a certain song...but it's back.
    Andrew, that's what it's all about. Congratulations on your D-I-Y success!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I thought it was about the sweet smell of MDF and finishes. :??

Congrats Andrew, nice job...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Congrats on getting them up and running, and that you're so happy- but then you should be.

It may be that some of the gentle folk on this forum don't know what the list price on those Focal Audiom TLR tweeters is, but I do- ole Hank would have a cow over that kind of coin on something so much smaller than a pair of RD50's, but I'm sure they sound really sweet! Maybe you could find room in the apt for a good 10" home brew sub, like with a PE Titanic II.

Enjoy the tunes!

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

Well I managed to luck out with the setup as a Canadian DIY speaker shop was closing and had just listed his "blowout sale" inventory, so along with the great (for me) exchange rates of those day and his "sale" I managed to score the whole kit for about the price of the 4 7k4411 drivers, so in essense I got the tweeters and cross-overs for free.

As to subs, I do have that monster sealed Tempest which will work in the new place...just might not make the neighbors happy. But I'll play that one by ear. Anyways, I'm kind of upset that Parts Connection closed business as that 40WPC tube amp was looking very attractive as the 200-300W that my Anthem will push out is gross overkill on these things.

Andrew

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

in essense I got the tweeters and cross-overs for free.
            My kind of D-I-Y cost. Right back atcha, Jon!

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

That IS a sweet deal, as those TLR's go for about the same as a set of RD50's.

-Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"