X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Whisper construction pictures

There are about 60+ pictures on 7 webpages, so if you're using a landline the pages will take time to load. Sorry!

This isn't all the pics or info. It's just what I had time to post so far. There will be more details of various sub-assemblies, construction info, performance plots, etc., etc., as time permits.

Enjoy
    Thomas

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Wow! My head is still dizzy from all the pix. I was wondering if there's any details on the why's of the stacking of the woofer drivers.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Patrick

The cluster of 4-7" mids is very efficient. Open air woofers are very inefficient. "Stacking" or "compound loading" adds +3db to the efficiency of the 15"s. Also the additional voice coils increase the power handling. This is helpful because a lot more power is sent to the woofers due to their inefficiency.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Nice set of pictures, ThomasW. I bet it will be fun to hear them with the 8008BB, particularly when you get the new IB sub finsihed. Will you be documenting the construction of that as well?

-Juan

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Very nice work Thomas! Nice work shop as well.

Those Whispers must sound very open with all those openings and the reaward facing driver.

How do these compare to the say the Maggie's that you say can be comparative to the B&G's we would like to build?

How much would it cost to make those exact whispers? Go ahead, whisper it in my ear :B

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Juan

Good photo documentation is the plan.

Bing

The Whispers create a planar like soundfield, full, wide, and deep. But they don't have the characteristic "sound" of a planar. This is a function of the planar's lightening fast transient response, and their "sonic signature".

On the flip side, the Whispers can play VERY loud 24/7, planars can't do that.

The "rear facing driver" isn't a driver. It's actually a passive radiator, and it simply absorbs the rear bass wave that would other wise bounce off the back area and cause cancellation.

To duplicate my clones your looking a 8-15"s @ $90ea, 8-7"s Kevlar midwoofers @ $125 and 2 Focal tweeters @ $80ea. Add $100 for XO parts and then the cost of materials say $500 depending on your choice of building materails and finish.

Now a pair could be built for much less. There are 15"s from $25-$35ea that will work, and there are quite a few 6.5-7" drivers for a lot less then the Etons.

They must be used with a sub, and the 15" woofers need an active XO, so add $250 for a Marchand active XO kit, or $75 for John Pomann's little kit

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Great series of pictures Thomas. Extremely good job documenting the process, and a helluva job on those speakers!

Lex

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Thank goodness I finally got to see what the final product would look like, because looking at the construction pictures beforehand confused the living bejeezus out of me!

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks guys!

I'll be adding much more text to the site as time permits. There will also be info as to the details that makes design is so unique, compared to a standard box.

There are more pictures of some of the smaller details, the various jigs and fixtures used in the construction. The film isn't processed. So I'll be "remodeling" the site, taking down some of the pics that are redundent, and adding new ones. When there is a significant change, the info will be posted to this thread.

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"