X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brent Briscoe
    • Nov 2002

1095 or 1075

Hello

I have recently purchased the 1066 along with the 1090 amp which is driving my main speakers. And by the way the combination is stunning both in sound and appearance (silver). To round out my system I need a 5 channel amp. This amp would drive two PSB inwall rear speakers and a pair of PSB Image 4T speakers in a second zone. I do not use a centre channel so this leaves me with one extra channel. Based on this I believe the 1075 would be plenty of amp and the 1095 perhaps overkill. The one catch however is that I would like to use the spare channel to drive my sub. I have an NHT SW3P sub. The box itself is a sealed passive unit with a 12" driver. There is an outboard NHT amp (250 watt) that currently drives it. However I want to simplify the system and take out the sub amp and use the spare channel on the five channel amp and use the crossover and sub volume control in the 1066 to easily control the bass. The NHT amp has a volume level and crossover but everytime I want to do "on the fly" adjustments I have to get up to adjust the level as the amp is not remote controllable (call me lazy).
    So in this situation I am wondering if the 1075 is the best choice or should I go for the 1095 for the extra oomph? In Canada the 1095 is twice the price of the 1075.
    Any opinions are appreciated!

Reagrds
    Brent
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

Yo LAZY! (you said to call you that)

I'd go with the 1075 and keep your NHT amp. The 1075 or even the 1095 wouldn't be sufficient to drive your sub IMO. Remember, deep bass is what sucks up most of the power in amps. If you use one channel of your multi-channel amp for your sub, it's taking away reserves/power that would otherwise be available for the other channels.

Just my $.02

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Brent Briscoe
      • Nov 2002

Thanks Bill. Very good point. Besides I really want to save the $1500 ($ difference between 1095 AND 1075). Can use that money in buying well recorded CDs and DVDs.

Signed Lazy

Comment

• Brent Briscoe
        • Nov 2002

Just got a 1075 last night and hooked it up. I was very surprised when I hooked it up to drive my passive NHT sw3p sub. Since I have a spare channel on the 1075 I thought I would try it on the sub to see how it compared to the NHT outboard 250 watt mono sub amp. I was not expecting much from a 120 watt channel of a 5 channel amp compared to a 250 watt mono sub amp. Boy was I mistaken. The 1075 actually drives the sub better. Its tighter, better quality base and seems louder to me. Now I can control the sub level and crossover settings via remote through the 1066 from my lazy boy rather than jumping up and down to turn volume up or down on the non remote contolled NHT amp. This is definitely icing on the cake because the 1075 also beautifuully drives a pair of speakers in a second room and my inwall surrounds in my main theatre room. I had Terminator 2 cranked up in the theatre and some dynamic classical music playing in the family room and the 1075 was barely warm by the end of the evening. A great amp for sure!
        Anybody need an NHT sub amp??

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Brent does the NHT amp have an EQ in it? Maybe that's what's eating up the headroom.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

I'm not sure on the 1075, but on the 1095 the center channel is designed to be driven the hardest. The left front and rear are one section, the right front and rear are another, and the center has it's own section using the entire front of the amp as it's heatsink.

I think you could drive a sub off the center channel quite easily.

Comment

• Brent Briscoe
              • Nov 2002

Andrew.

The NHT amp has a crossover as well as phase adjustments. I'm not saying the NHT amp is not good its just that the combination of using the crossover in the 1066 and the centre channel output of the 1075 seems to create bass that is preferable to my ears. Not sure what you mean by EQ eating up headroom?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"