Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Tibor's DIY MTM minitower

Click image for larger version

Name:	CompletedSpeakers2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	948281

Well we finally finished Tibor's MTM mini-towers.

Drivers are a pair of the Hi-Vi M8a mated to a Vifa XT25 'ring radiator'. XO point is 1.25kHz, same as the M8a MKIV project

The system is sealed not ported to keep the box relatively small. It's going to be used with a sub, so optimizing the LFE output wasn't a priority

The veneer is real Zebra wood. The plinth is removable for access to the XO's that are mounted in the lower part of the cab.

More pics here

I shot more photos but haven't had a chance to edit them. There will be more info on the AudioWorx site when I get time.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:54 Thursday. Reason: Update url and image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

WOW!!!

They look sweet. Those HiVi's really look nice with the veneer.

Same xover as the MKs?

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Very nice:T

Luv the finish!

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Pete/Pat

The same 'basic' XO but of course optimized for the double woofers. This is another project like the M8a-MKIV where we're doing an article for AudioXpress. So details of the XO will be available only from Jon or myself directly until the article is published

Tibor is a real world finish cabinet maker so the veneer job is stunning. He has access to a professional spray booth. The finish is a catalyzing lacquer.

Cabinet is all 1.5" MDF with heavy internal bracing. The plinth is three layers of 3/4" MDF and is separated from the main cab with an offset frame of hickory 2"X2". 8 lag screws the hold the plinth to the hickory frame. Needless to say the speakers are very heavy.....

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Those are pretty sharp looking! The wood grain and the drivers make a striking combination! When I showed the picture to Yvonne, she said she wouldn't mind having ones that look like that! 8)

Poor gal, she's having to make do with just M8 MkIII's.... I think now she's wondering why I didn't make some zoot looking speakers like these for her! ops:

Tibor and Thomas did a great job on the cabinet work, and I think we're finally getting reasonably adept at sorting out the crossover stuff at a "slight" remove.

Congrats on the excellent work on the speakers, Tibor and Tom!

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2002

Very nice! Nothing like exotic wood veneer in my book. Hopefully the customer doesn't want grills on those beauties.

Comment

• Pete
              • Feb 2002

They look great guys, I hope they sound as good
              as they look. The good match between the drivers and veneer,
              they don't need a grill.

-Pete

Comment

• Tibor
                • Oct 2000

Well Sorry I did not get on faster to respond been busy with work and training classes.

I dont know where to start first Thank You so much Thomas for all your help , I can not say enough about Thomas .
                He is just a great friend and a true Audio God !!

Second Thank you Jon Marsh for all your hard work on the
                crossover and the box design . (mini MTM) LOL .

They look just amazing in my living room and sound just wonderful better everytime I play them . Very detailed and clean .
                I have to say for my first DIY project truly a work of great art .
                The venner was picked by my wife and myself , zebra wood looks very diffrent when it is raw with out a finish on it , the wood comes to life when sealed and finished .
                They are heavy and built like a german tank !

Once again I want to Thank Tom and Jon for all the great knowledge and a new found love for music and movies .

Tibor

P.S if this is a mini MTM what the hell is a large MTM ????LOL
                and can I get that super sized .
                8)

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Awesome, totally awesome! 8O

Lex
                  Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:54 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken link
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                    • Jan 2004

How on earth did you make those Vifa XT25 go down to 1.25K, I've tried every possible slope and point with these tweeters and couldn’t get anywhere near 1.5K and the sounded terrible. I ended up crossing mine at 2.8K 4th order, 2K and I could here audible distortion.
                    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• joecarrow
                      • Apr 2005

My guess is an elliptic crossover; Jon's good with those, and you can use them to get 8th order slopes or steeper for the first 40 or 50 db without many more components than a 4th order.

Check out the Modula MTM thread, and some of the others in the "mission accomplished" section- this is the one forum I've seen where this type of crossover is essentially the norm.
                      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Keith,

This design (and all Jon's sticky thread designs) are a spin off of Jon's original article published in AudioXpress. And as Joe noted they use the very high order Cauer/Elliptical crossover.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"