X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Car sub-enclosures

Is it a bad idea to use a pre cut sub box? Like the ones at CC or GG. They have some very large ones that seem to fit the bill of a "non wood worker" like myselfh:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hey finally a question I can't answer

But I'll still try :B

Woofers and their boxes are a "system" and they need to be matched. So it's necessary to know the T/S (Theile/Small) parameters of the woofer, in order to know how it will perform in a given box.

If you find a "match", a specific woofer with a specific prebuilt box, then great. If you try to put any woofer in any box, you get a mess.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

You would have to find out the volume of the enclosure and then it would be a major pain in the butt to find a driver that will perform well in that size of enclosure.

That is why most people find a driver they like and then design the enclosure around that particular driver instead of trying to find a driver for an existing enclosure.
      **edit**
      Thomas answered while I was typing my reply

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm glad that I was able to challenge you Thomas

Thanks ThomasW/Pat. I thought is was too simple that I maybe one of the first to think of it. Well, back to the drawing board!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

John, I don't know what you had in mind, but I think the Parts Express "Dayton Titanic" has a matching box flat that can be purchased to go with the driver. The parts are cut for you, all you have to do is glue,screw, and finish in your choice.

What you may want to do is get a freeware version of winISD if you don't already have it, plugin your chosen drivers T/S specs, WinISD will then spit out the recommended enclosure size for that driver. If it is near the premade enclosure size with in 5% great, your on your way. If not, plug your premade enclosure size volume into WinISD, and see what happens to the response. You may be able to tune the port(lengthen or shorten) to get the desired response.

If you are building a sealed sub, the the net volume is not as critical. Most drivers will include a typical recommended enclosure size for various box alignments. See what your driver recommends, and see if the premade box will do. remember you have about 5% leeway for a ported sub, a sealed has a higher % tolerance (I'm not sure how much) but a sealed sub is much more forgiving of volume errors.

That, or a sono sub is relatively easy as well. have wood shop cut the plugs for you, and all you have to worry about is general assembly and finishing. Actually it's easier that you may think to build your own sub.

Best of luck,

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hey Bing

Great idea, I've never seen a "tube" car sub

John

Don't misunderstand! If you tell us the internal volume of the box you like, I'd bet we can suggest a suitable driver. It's actually that easy

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Thomas, it's called a bazzooka tube, a sono is basically a big bazzooka tube :B

I thought John wanted to use a car sub enclosure in the home..... duh!

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• AndrewM
                • Oct 2000

Actually, a lot of the sub enclosures they sell come with a spec sheet that lists the volume(s), to give with a simple sealed or vented enclosure this could be an option, of course with a vented enclosure you'll have to add the vent but this is fairly minor compared to building the rest of the box. You can go look on Crutchfields website and they list a bunch of different Q-Logic boxes and all the various specs for them.

Now the bad, most of the enclosures are built with profits in mind, so not all of them are built with at least 3/4" MDF, usually 5/8", but they sometimes have a double front baffle. Another problem you can run into is that most of the enclosures are usually to small for typical home subs, like the biggest 12" box you can find at Crutchfield is 1.75cu/ft so your options are limited.

But as everybody has pretty much mentioned if your sub of choice specs out to work in one of these boxes you shouldn't have any problems.

Andrew

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Bing

You may be correct, I just read it another way

Hey John

Help us out. Is this for home or car use :?

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Alright, a lot of great info. I'm sorry my post was encrypted. It is for HT and not the car.

Bing,
                    I checked out the Titanic. Wow...It looks pretty cool. This is along the scheme that I was thinking. Price seems okay too.

ThomasW,
                    You always have the answer I was not as clear as I thought in asking the question. I will check out some boxes for their internal specs and let you guys know.

Andrew,
                    Crutchfield dosen't carry the size that I was looking at. You make a good point on wall thickness. I did not consider that. I assumed that 3/4 was standard with all speakers.

I really like the "Dayton Titanic" driver/box combo (sounds like Micky Dees, I'll have a #6) But, unlike you true DIY'ers, I'm not up to speed on what makes a good driver.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Ok now were on track

Hey Bing, you win a prize for the correct answer, "six fastex fasteners"

John

If you need an assembled box or knockdown kit, you're unfortunately going to get killed by shipping costs. Good cabinets are HEAVY!!

Is there anyone you can tap locally to build you a box? This in the long run won't save money, but it gives the flexibility of a custom design, as opposed to ordering #6

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

server is double posting

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I must be honest ThomasW, I have made no effort with local wood shops. But I will. This idea really surfaced when I was at CC the other day. They had some massive pre-builds for cars and I could only wonder if this may be the answer to my DIY HT sub. I have all too often felt the wave of bass hit me from cars that are on the other side of a four lane street. That is what made me say hmmm.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

I win a Prize? Great, send them to me Thomas... Huh, wha? You sent them already??? OH yeah, you did. Thanks :B

Good point on the shipping Thomas. John, I'm sure a local wood shop could cobble you a custom box for a relatively low price.

I noticed Adrie Audio also provides kit flats to match their famous Shiva drivers as well, You may do well to compare what it would cost shipped to you Vs building locally. The beauty of these kit flats is it will be hard to go wrong as they are designed as a system to sound good out of the box.

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The sweet thing about the PE box plans and drivers, or the Adire whitepapers and drivers, is that any good woodshop should be able to make these no sweat. And since the designs are proven, no worries about building a dud.

theAudioWorx
                              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"