X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin U
    • Jul 2002

Slow work takes lots of time

Finally finished a couple on going projects.

I built a 4-Tempest IB several months ago. I picked up a used Symetrix 551 parametric eq on E-bay. Using Trueaudio's RTA, a friends Audio Control mic/preamp, and various test cd's I adjusted the eq. Thomas warned me the Symetrix is a bear to adjust. He is right, little turns of the little knobs make a huge jump. I spent about 4 hours adjusting the eq. Once I got the eq set, I put a little dab of silicone on each knob so the knobs can't be moved accidenally. I was able to get the frequency response fairly flat from 14-150hz. I read a post that Jon suggested to eq sub(s) an octave above the x-over point, which I did. I've been extremely happy with the sound quality of the IB, the EQ brought it up another notch. One kind of interesting find when going thru eq adjusting is how our house gets excited at 16hz, it's amazing how things in he house started moving around at that fz.

The other project I finished was a center channel speaker. It's a W-M/T-W configuration consisting of 2-Eton 8-800's, MB midrange, and a Focal TC120. It certainly can't be classified as a small speaker. It's OD is 12x30x16. Cabinet is 1 inch MDF, 2 inch front, and lots of oak bracing. I played white noise thru it for a couple days at a moderate level to break it in. I spent quite a bit of time listening to CD's in mono. It sounds great, voices sound very natural. Listening to James McMurtry's "Too Long In The Waste land" Angeline, the speaker really captures his "chesty" voice. I then hooked it up as a center speaker. Playing a movie I've seen many times, "Fargo", I heard things I haven't heard before. Early in the movie when she tries to start her prowler, I could hear the car turning over, I did not hear that on my $500 NHT center. I'm very happy with my new center! A big thanks goes out to Jon and Thomas for their help with this project.

Kevin
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Kevin, Welcome to HTGuide!

Sound like a fun couple of projects

Any pictures you can share?

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

If no pictures, maybe Pat can teach you how to operate a camera over at the Photography section. I hear he's got the inside track for the mod spot. :LOL:

Welcome to HTG!

Hmmm, 4 Tempest IB, maybe I should do one of those, since I have 4 Tempests on hand NIB. (please don't throw things at me)

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin U
        • Jul 2002

Pat and Lex,

thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

Pat,
        sorry no pictures of the center. It's simply covered in oak veneer and stained black. I have a few pictures of the IB on Thomas's IB forum. Borrowed a digital camera to shoot those. I'll get a camera soon.

Lex,
        I won't throw anything at you. Although I'll flip you a little...... come on man, put those Tempest to work! You could send them my way, a 8-Tempest IB would be killer.

Kevin

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I know Kevin, I know. Well, I actually hate to cut a hole in my current floor, as I've considered a long time moving. I'll hold off a bit longer on that, but maybe someday, I can use these Tempests!

For me, it's the time. Always the time. Not enough hours in a day. h:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hmmm, 4 Tempest IB, maybe I should do one of those, since I have 4 Tempests on hand NIB. (please don't throw things at me)
            I've been trying to get you to do something with those for months now

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
              • Aug 2001

Using Trueaudio's RTA, a friends Audio Control mic/preamp, and various test cd's I adjusted the eq. Thomas warned me the Symetrix is a bear to adjust. He is right, little turns of the little knobs make a huge jump.
              I skipped the 551 precisely due to the same advice. Over the years I've learned never to discard anything Thomas tells me.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hi Kevin,

A big thanks goes out to Jon and Thomas for their help with this project.
                Oh no, I can see it now; he's 'buttering' us up to design another speaker for him..........

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"