X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudee
    • Oct 2000

cubicon enclosures

I was looking at the cubicon site(www.cubiconcorp.com) after seeing it mentioned in another post. Cubicon manufactors many types of different fiberboard enclosures. I was looking at the "D" shape in particular and was wondering if this shape would have a negative affect on the sonics- If one were to use this as a sub enclusure? Seems perfect if you wanted to mount a plate amp to the back for a really clean looking,hard surface DIY sub. I've seen this type of display, columns and square also, at used store fixture shops and bet you could pick one up at a decent price. Usually they are laminated, top sealed & sometimes bottom too. This might be a good alternative to someone who is "handyman challanged"
    Just a thought-

rudee
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They should be fine. The main issue with sub enclosures is the resonant frequency. The goal is to have the box resonance higher than the frequencies being reproducing by the woofer. This the fiberboard does without any problem.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• rudee
      • Oct 2000

I'm going to scout around and see what I can find- we have several second hand store fixture resellers here full of old stuff that would be great and at least to some degree already assembled- It may need some additional braces or two and something to dampen it. Or maybe layout a design and see how much it would cost for cubicon to construct.

I'm sure I'll have ??'s if I find anything worthy of the cause.......

thanks Thomas
      rudee

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Rudee

I recall the cubicon products aren't cheap. They cater to a pretty limited market.

Try not to read to much extra into my words.

Sub enclosures need to be well built. Take note especially of "box" style designs. These are stiff and heavy. Many makers pride themselves in that if you rap on the box, it rings like a bell.

The cylinder is the exception to this. Why? Because first the material has a high resonant frequency. Second the shape equalizes the air pressure across the entire surface. As a result no bracing is needed for the tube. itself. Some people brace the end-caps, particularly those using 24" or larger diameter tubes

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"