X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

DIY PJ Screen Building

I'm about to embark on a new DIY project in building my first screen for my future projector. In searching around I've come across a few useful links that I'll share with you.

The first is a fairly large PDF on installing screens and projectors etc. Its 74 pages long and full of valuable info.

Guide to Screens

The second has to do with how to stretch cloth over a frame which will come in handy should I decide to build mine from blackout cloth...

How to strech screen material

I'll continue to update this thread as I learn more about my options but right now it looks like I'm going to try to build a frame and stretch black out cloth over it and then paint it with white gesso paint.

Im my HT since I have the 32" wega for 4:3 material I'll need to make it so that I can move the screen out of the way so what I'm thinking of doing is mounting the screen to the ceiling on a piano hinge so that I can swing it up and attach it to the ceiling when not in use. I haven't figured out yet how I'm going to attach it to the ceiling (velcro's one idea) but I think it could work esp if i cover the backside with either black material or paint it the same colour as the ceiling tiles (dark grey)

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pr@, don't you have a dropped tile ceiling? What's the weight limit for suspending something from one of those? Might that be an issue?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
      • Feb 2002

I assume you would be mounting your screen in front of the TV in order to clear it. How large do you intend to go? A fixed 16:9 screen might be able to be above the TV?

Another option is the Parkland plastics material. It can be fixed to the same frame as a black-out cloth frame or a painted frame. The material is quite light and provides a nice matte finish, screen gain near 1.0. The material itself is the same material used to finish off a bathroom shower area, so other similar materials may be available.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Here's an idea. Stationary screen with a custom cabinet beneath it. what's cool about this cabinet is, the top is attached to an internal frame, that's motorized. Press a button, and the TV pops up for 4:3 viewing. Press it again, and it goes down out of the way of the projector screen.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

David - I plan on cutting a hole in the ceiling tiles and connecting a top header plate to a couple of rods that would run up and be bolted to the floor joists above the drop down ceiling.

Daryl - You had to import your Parkland material right?

Doug - always dreaming aren't you

As for size if I end up with the LCD that's sort of been offered to me it will likely be 80" * 60" which obviously is a 4:3 screen. If I go CRT then I'd likely see about a 100" diagonal screen...of course I need to take some measurements between my speakers to see how wide I can go without hitting them...I'm still very early in the design plans at this stage with the intent to start building after christmas.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Looks like you'll be having lots of fun, Mr. Pratt.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
              • Feb 2002

Yes I imported it. I have pieces left over if you want some samples. You said earlier you intended to use the Wega for 4:3 material. Would you consider getting one of those panamorph lenses to convert it to 16:9? I personally found watching 4:3 material to be too soft and unwatchable on the full 4:3 screen after watching widescreen DVD's. The pull-down 4:3 is only for very special occasions now, and coincidently the same 80x60 size.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Daryl at this point everything's up in the air

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Lex
                  Stationary screen with a custom cabinet beneath it. what's cool about this cabinet is, the top is attached to an internal frame, that's motorized. Press a button, and the TV pops up for 4:3 viewing. Press it again, and it goes down out of the way of the projector screen.
                  Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                  Doug - always dreaming aren't you
                  Andrew -- Doug may be "dreaming", but only because of price. Such cabinets are commercially available, http://www.the-office.com/popuptv/ but could set you back about as much as you have budgeted for the projector: http://www.the-office.com/popuptv/tvsizes.htm Remote controlled Pop-Up TVâ„¢ is $2798. (So maybe a lot more than you have budgeted, if you are still looking at those "give away priced" used ones). :>) However, you can get the lift mechanism starting at about $600 and install it in your own cabinet. (Sounds like another nice DIY project.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Hank
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2002

Andrew, I've helped two of our local HT members build screens with the Parkland Plastics material, which is about US$15 here. Both were attached to 1/2" MDF with 3M spray contact adhesive. both people are very pleased with their screens. This has to be one of the highest value DIY projects in HT. If you don't want to mount on the wall, then you could attach the plastic to a 1 x 4 frame I suppose.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Hank have you compared the Parklands to comercial screens and if so what were your thoughts?

Burke I've seen those lifts before but at the prices we're talking about its way out of reach!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

I've done a budget DIY screen too, though it was a little more than $15. It was made with matte bright white formica, on a HDF/masonite base (72" diagonal), mounted in a shallow hardwood with an oak frame. Initially, this just hung on the wall, but I also have a roll around stand I made for it. That part was expensive.

As long as a matte white zero gain approach is OK, these kinds of materials work fine. On the otherhand, finding a good discount on a DA-SNAP screen with the screen material of your choice (DA-LITE Hi Power is my preference) is worth additional money, particularly for the light gain for larger sizes. What I don't tend to recommend is a budget pull down, particularly an untensioned one, as they can result in a slightly wavy screen surface; then I prefer the homemade with formica or similar materials.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I heard that about pulls downs jon which is why I'm not considering them even though they'd be easier to incorporate into my room.

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

This is one where DIY hardly seems worth it. You can get a Da-lite model B pulldown screen for under $150 and it would look a lot nicer than something folded against the ceiling. I've heard AVS has good prices on them.

Model B

List prices (expect at least 1/3 off that)

Edit: I see Jon doesn't like pulldowns. Lots of people are using them with good results. I believe the waviness is more of a problem if you are using a high-gain material. I've never heard of any problems with the unity gain matte white. Even the guys using pulldown high powers over at AVS rave about them.

Comment

• Hank
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2002

Andrew, I haven't personally compared as I'm not into Front Projection yet, but the guys who have the Parkland screens have looked at lots of screens. If you can do a wall mount, then some nice trim can make them look even WAF - acceptable. Colin trimmed his with fluted trim and corner rossette blocks. Hard to see in this picture, but you can get the idea:

Nils' wife made side and top black velvet "shades" that can be moved in/out and up/down to make a great mask for WS movies.

Comment

• AndrewM
                                • Oct 2000

I've seen a few people at AVS buy the pull-down DaLite's, and then once they have it cut the material off/out of it and then do a perm mount as you are talking about.

Although I think this was mainly done because they bought the pull down and weren't 100% happy with it, but it's another option (and if I'm not mistaken you could purchase a pull down, cut the material out and build a perm screen for less than the cost of a "real" perm screen).

Andrew

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

$150 US plus shipping is still much higher then what it would cost me to build a screen...plus until I figure out exactly what I need going the DOY route will allow me to try a few different things out.

We have some Da-lite pull downs here at work so I'll maybe compare my DIY against them when the time comes.

The problem with wall mount for me is that I need to be able to see my 32" TV for news etc of the dish...plus my TV and speakers are pulled out 5 feet into the room with a false wall behind them made out of cloth. It will end up looking like its wall mounted when I'm done but it will still have to either roll up or fold up out of the way.

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Thanks for validating what I said Burke. I knew it was a realistic possibility, even if not in budget. Andrew, I tend to agree, for 150? not worth the time or hassle to build one that may not turn out ok, then your out the 150 plus what the DIY cost.

How about a castor based TV stand? Then just roll it to the side for theater viewing? that is until you can afford the elevator stand. :LOL:

I agree, the elevating cabinet is a fantastic DIY project.

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

As is usually the case with DIY its not simply about saving money its about getting the most performace you can for you money...there are a lot of people that have turned to theseDIY screens in favour of comerical models even though cost wasn't a factor.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I went ahead and built a screen from black out cloth which actually went together pretty easily. There's some pics of it on my site under the home theater pictures link in the menu (or simply click the image below). I haven't painted it yet with gesso since I'm not yet sure if I'll end up with a CRT or LCD PJ but I'm pretty happy with the inital results. The screen right now is 72" by 54" for a 4:3 ratio so I need to devise some way of making some black masks for widescreen material. I want these to be able to slide up and down for the various aspect ratios yet also be removeable for 4:3 material if I want to watch something in that format (thinking sports mainly)

Comment

• Brandon B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jun 2001

I have a 10' diagonal 16:9 Da-Lite hipower. While it is not as table flat as the tensioned Stewarts I looked at, it is not noticeably wavy under any circumstances. Unless air currents (HVAC) are directed near it.

And the pull down aspect is REALLY convenient. Mine was about $550, but would have been almost $200 cheaper if I had not bought the roll-up brake mechanism which keeps it from doing the window shade wham! thing ( have a 5 year old).

I was originally going to do a fold up to the ceiling or removeable wall mount, but my wife watched me try to do it once and said "buy the pull down, I am NOT doing that".

If the wall mount doesn't work out for you, these are worth considering. I built a recess into my ceilnig, so mine disappears when not in use.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Brandon if it ever becomes an issue that's what i'll look into.

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"