X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

HDTV support

Since the review came out in SGHT stating that the 1055/1066's do in fact support HDTV with 200 Mhz's worth of bandwidth I sent an email of to Mike Bartlett who's the VP for north america and my primary connact at Rotel asking for an explination. I heard back late last night and early this morning and its an interesting situation. I'm still learning some of the details on what's happened and what will be happening but here's what I know so far.

At some point there was a change made to these models to increase the video bandwidth from 10 to 200 mhz to allow for 1080i HDTV support. I'm trying to find out exactly when that change was made but it isn't as simple as saying all models using the newer firmware are HDTV complient. When I find out more on which models are affected I'll post an update.

For those of us with older models Rotel is looking into offering an upgrade patch similar to how the Denon 5800s were handled. We'll be charged a one time fee and will have to ship our units to Rotel and they'll UPS them back. Apparently its a rather expensive upgrade but our costs will be pretty reasonable. I've heard one figure but since its not set in stone yet I'll just say its more then I'd hoped but less then I feared

As I said a lot of these details are only just being worked out and since Mike's in asia right now its more difficult to get details from him due to time delays and his work load...but I do know he's trying to sort out the details between the various staff within Rotel.

For what its worth Rotel still says the 1055/1066 models don't support HDTV offically even though these new models do. I think thats likely a case of using a common denominator for the various flavours to make it appear like its an added bonus for the new models not a feature that was supported all along.

• Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

For what I know at the end of August the changed the input board for wide band TV. It was made at the same time the EEPROM was upgraded (from 2MB to 4MB, with upgrade on the digital PCB) and they started the new firmware version.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The 200 MHz bandwidth video switching 1066's can be identified by serial numbers higher than #2341001.

The upgrade will be made available sometime in febuary and will cost around $100US and will involve you shipping your processor to Rotel for the mod. For Canadians we'll get to ship our to the Cdn distributor and they'll handle it for us (~$150 cdn)

Comment

• Hap C
        • Dec 2002

It's great that Rotel is increasing the video bandwith to permit full HD signals.

But there is more to be done.

Rotel needs to add another component video input, to increase the total number of component inputs from 2 to 3. Most decent receivers (e.g., Denon, Onkyo) on their better models have 3 component video inputs and bandwith sufficient to switch HD signals, as do better processors like Sunfire, etc.. I think most of us would be happy to see Rotel catch up. It would be fine with me to have the composite and S-Video inputs reduced from 6 to, say, 2 each, plenty as most people who buy the 1066 now are using it with HD sources. For example, I currently use (1) a progressive scan DVD player; (2) a HD terrestrial settop box; and (3) a HD cable box. With only 2 component inputs on my current receiver I need to plug/unplug one of the boxes, a real pain.

I've been looking at purchasing the 1066, and was holding off because of the video bandwith problem and the limited number of component inputs. Again, I'm glad Rotel is fixing the HD bandwith problem, now if they would just add another component input I'd be sold.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Give them an inch :LOL:

I don't see that happening for the current models but it might be something that could be addressed in the 1098 unit.

Comment

• fyonn
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Hap C
            It would be fine with me to have the composite and S-Video inputs reduced from 6 to, say, 2 each, plenty as most people who buy the 1066 now are using it with HD sources.
            well, I'm not sure thats true. perhaps of the american market but not the european one. while I accept that several people might want more component inputs I wouldn't want the number of svideo inputs to be reduced.

anyways, now we know what the minimum serial number is (and mine's below it, drat, maybe the shop will swap it for me? doubt it but maybe, I've had the box for less than a month) can we also confirm if it's a matter of v2 of the firmware and above? ie v1 is 10Mhz and v2 is 200Mhz?

dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Its not a simple matter of which firmware you're running..only the serial number can tell. If you ask your dealer you might be able to have him swap it for you...doesn't hurt to beg

Comment

• sdecker
                • Jun 2002

Andrew

Does this upgrade apply for the 1055 also?

Earle

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I'm looking into that right now...I would assume so but I'll hopefully know for sure in a bit.

Comment

• Trevor_J
                    • Oct 2002

Is there any way to tell by the numbers on the box what the serial number is? My Rotel is planted in my rack and I can't get to the back of it unless I start disconnecting wires. I'd rather avoid this. The numbers on my box are: FR0107123410370993.

The part that interests me is '2341037'. If this is my s/n then I'll be very happy. Can anyone verify any relation to the numbers on the box with the actual s/n?

TIA.

Comment

• efarstad
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2001

You're good Trevor...you dog you! You have an updated version....

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

Comment

• Trevor_J
                        • Oct 2002

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                          The 200 MHz bandwidth video switching 1066's can be identified by serial numbers higher than #2341001.
                          For the RSX-1065 it's serial# from 2361001 and higher.

Comment

• Scotty
                            • Nov 2002

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
                            Expressions of joy and jubilations! Get this, my serial number is 2341019. Man, I barely mad it. Been sweat-in bullets since I’ve been hearing about this lately, and I just order a big screen HDTV. If I couldn't run HD through my 1066 it would have been a drag.

BIG thanks for the info Andrew!

I tried to contain myself, but I escaped. 8)

Comment

• Gary Press
                              • Oct 2002

As with Trevor J, I too cannot get to the back of my RSP-1066, but the numbers on the box are: FRO107122711820761.

Can "efarstad" or anyone else decipher my numbers and let me know whether I'm luck or will have to shell out $100 for the update?

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

• Trevor_J
                                • Oct 2002

Going by your numbers compared to how mine were extracted, it appears that you are under the threshold for the new units. By looking at the numbers you pulled off you box, it would appear that your s/n is: 2271182

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Missing the upgrade isn't bothering me too much in that I connect my components straight into my Mitsubishi. I'm actually pleased that Rotel is willing to do the upgrade and the price they're charging might be reasonable. I don't know the cost to them. I do know that it will be a wanted upgrade for many. The reason I'm not disappointed is that some companies offer an upgradable unit, but really don't come through in the end. Rotel seems to at least be making attempts to address flaws in their offering, although I think most of us are most anxious to see the double bass issue resolved.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

I'm not sure what its costing Rotel but i know they aren't making money on it...chances are they're losing money since on top of labour they have to ship it back to you.

Comment

• mardelzur
                                      • Dec 2002

Hi everyone - I've just joined up.
                                      As a 1066 owner this forum has been a great source of info - thanks to all.

I have a quick question for Andrew - do you know what plans Rotel have for Australian 1066 owners with the HDTV update? My serial number is below the threshold :cry:

Comment

• SayersWeb
                                        • Dec 2002

Well.... I've avoided checking the serial # up to now, but curiosity got the best of me and I finally checked. To my surprise I do have the newer unit with the expanded video bandwidth.

I was well prepared for the other side of that coin and truly appreciate my good fortune.

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page
                                        Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

I'm not sure what they are planning on doing outside of north america...I'd email tech support and ask them

Comment

• wanderso
                                            • Sep 2002

The question I have is what do we get back?

The 'old' series Firmware? The new series Firmware?

Do we ship to our own country (ie Canada)?

Or will Rotel offer a realistic trade on the to-be released 'big brother'?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

They are workiong out exactly how its all going to work but we canucks will get to ship it to Toronto to be upgraded. I'm not sure about which firmware it will use once upgraded though that's a good question.

Comment

• Lee
                                                • Oct 2002

I just checked mine... and i just barely made it too.. Just like Scotty.
                                                #2341020.

Scotty: Where are you located, since your serial # is one before mine.

Comment

• FatMatt
                                                  • Jan 2003

A couple of questions about the 1066

1) Is the serial number country specific or worldwide ?

2) Would that 200Mhz upgrade now allow Progressive signals to be switched on the Component sockets (NTSC/PAL) ?

thanks

n.

Comment

• RogueAngel
                                                    • Jun 2002

Andrew,

I didn't notice an answer to the RSX 1055 applicability question doing a scroll through the messages. Have you heard anything yet about upgrading 1055's for HD video?

Bobbi

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

The current non upgraded machines should already be able to do progressive scan DVD its HDTV that needs the increased bandwith I think.

Yes I'm sure any upgrade to the 1066's will also be offered to the 1055's.

Comment

• brotherMaX
                                                        • Dec 2002

Andrew,

What is the serial # cutoff for the 1055 with the HDTV support?

FTR my 1055 SN is 197223710621186

ThanX.....MaX

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

BrotherMax I've asked Rotel and will reply when I hear back

Comment

• Scotty
                                                            • Nov 2002

Hi lee,
                                                            I live in Colorado. The state bird is the Lark Bunting, state flower the Columbine, the state beer, Coors. Ok... enough.
                                                            Strange how one number off can send a 1066 many miles away to Toronto?
                                                            Cheers 8)

Comment

• brotherMaX
                                                              • Dec 2002

Hi Andrew,

Any news on the SN cutoff for the 1055?

ThanX

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

not yet...most of Rotels staff is at CES this week

Comment

• Claude D D
                                                                  • Jan 2003

Not being able to run a HDTV signal through your 1066 is no big deal.Any self respecting videofile would run direct to his/her display anyway,plus the next generation of HDTV converters will use a different connection anyway (DVI,firewire,etc.) All of the new HDTV's have more than one HD input as well,so who really needs HDTV component video switching?

Comment

• slayer12
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2003

Any news yet on the cutoff for the 1055?

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"