X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

The next clone?

Check out these. They are the best speakers The Absolute Sound has heard, or so they say.

I can't seem to link directly to the model, but it is the Alon Grand Exotica. Price is abou $120,000.

BTW, anyone what dipole tweeter they are using?

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

In theory they should exhibit all kinds of comb filtering. The bass drivers are spaced too far apart for a 400 Hz freq and the midrange are too big (5.5") to not have problems with it with a 3500 Hz top end.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

The tweets look like Raven R1's and the midbasses Seas Excel 8's. Anybody recognize the mids and the woofs?

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

$120,000? For half that, the Poohbahs could whip up something that would be at the top of the list. But then, who wants to be there?

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Actaully, I'm pretty sure the ribbons are the Philips ribbon tweeter. 3500 is about as low as you can go.

This isn't a true line source, more like a tapered MTM plus short line source, but with this many high quality drivers, it probably still sounds rather good. The 8" Excels are not pistonic to 5 kHz, by any means, though.

I do have to wonder about the open back mid range array; I'd be curious how diople cancellation affects the response. In the range above 400 Hz it's not really so hard to kill most of the rear wave cleanly in a deep sealed cabinet, and you've still got a monopole bass system, which will require careful placement. An odd combination, from a "theoretical" view, to me.

For these kinds of bucks, I'd expect a full line array with 7" Excel's crossed to RD50's or RD750s at 600 Hz, then crossed at about 5 kHz to a taller line array of the Philips ribbon. And let's throw in an Ayre V6 to drive the mids and upper range, and an Aragon or Bryston for the bottom end. On the bass we'll "skimp" and see if we can't get by with 4 Adire DPL12's on each side.

Geez, $120K? I thought the Dot.BOMB over spending thing was so last year.... no, actually it was so the year before that, wasn't it?

Just got back from Chicago (there since Sunday), and I'm beat. But it's good to be home!

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

The 8" Excels are not pistonic to 5 kHz, by any means, though.
            If I read it right, they're running them from 40 to 400. But, as we're being critical, :LOL: 4 Excels seem a little light for 40 Hz in a "reference" system. Maybe the sub stack is taking over most of the load there. Speaking of which, putting the subs way behind the mains looks weird unless they are doing some electronic time alignment.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Hi Dennis!

Yes, I picked up that they were only using them to 400 Hz, then crossing to the open back mids- but they had a "blurb" on the page about how high the Excel 8's go (claiming 5 kHz)- which actually isn't realistic, since because of cone flex/phase shift the output actually dips substantially before it does get into the outright resonant mode. Other than Sd, the 7" Excel is a much better driver.

For a $120K system I would expect a little more than 4 8's per side down to 40- this is the guy also responsible for the Dahlquist sub, and he liked to let the main speaker roll off as it would, then bring in the sub with a variable frequency crossover. This sort of allows adjusting the level and phase shift at the crossover point, which could help deal with the positioning difference, but it's a bit crude. For going from the 8's to 12's I'd usually recommend a more conventional crossover at about 75 Hz, but at 40 Hz the time difference front to back is less critical.

We can always bench race the design tradeoffs and issues, but in the end, it's how it sounds, and how much it costs...

But I tend to agree with some of the comments that there some unusual tradeoffs in this design.

-Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"