X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

ExcelArray Measurement Posted

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Brad posted a curve for his Seas/Newform line array. It was measured with a TacT from the listening position. The white line is the curve before EQ and the green line is his target for after EQ. Looks pretty dang good to me until you get down around 200Hz and the room effects kick in. The TacT should have no trouble fixing the minor room stuff. The speakers aren't toed in so the ribbon is (guessing) maybe 20 degrees off axis. The 20K rolloff isn't bad at all. I'm liking the looks of those Newform ribbons more and more.
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Pretty tough to tell with that scale. Each division is 10 dB!

Do the Newforms suffer from the 5K resonance?

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Do the Newforms suffer from the 5K resonance?
      Nope.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

I think the curves on the Newform site were taken at 1 meter while Brad's were taken at about 11 feet. The FR is probably smoother farther away. Brad mentioned the bass response as well. Rick's "factory" spec is quasi anechoic but it's a fairly low Q sealed box so, the way Brad has them positioned, he's getting room/boundary gain to make them pretty flat down to 20. He's still crossing to a sub for the low stuff most of the time. I think he has the TacT set up so he can toggle the sub/XO on and off.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

2m away according to text on the LMS plot

Here's a B&G 1m plot, notch filter is installed

R45 for comparison

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Actually, looking at the curves you just posted side by side, they aren't all that different other than the scale. Both are slightly elevated from 1K to 3K, a slight hump at 10K and down about 5dB at 20K. I would have expected Brad's to be rolled off more at 20K as he's measuring off axis but the factory measurement with the mic closer than the length of the ribbon probably rolls off the highs some too so they end up about the same.

Edit: oops 2m.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

The thing I really like about the Newform is the off-axis HF response. The bottom 3 on this 30" chart are 0, 30 and 60 degrees with a 5.5 cap. The cap looks too small to me - rolls off the LF a little too high.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"