X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

DIY Atlanta 2002 Photo Album

Here's the DIY Atlanta 2002 Photo Album.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Nice turnout, looks like lots of different designs, any of them stand out as particularly sweet sounding?

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

most impressive! I wish mine looked half as good as those #11's

Comment

• Patrick Sun
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

The ones I liked (but most were all pretty good).

The 2nd order Series by Ken Perkins (very nice imaging):

The 1st order Series, the Odyssey, by Ken Perkins (a little too soft on the tweeter, needed a tad less padding):

The GR AV1+ by Danny Richie (also imaged quite well):

The Thor TL kit (simply disappeared in the room, but a little soft in the bass region):

Both of the Line arrays were pretty fun to listen to for that big speaker sound, the all black one had just a little less bass, but that was by design. Using ribbon tweeters, you had to be sitting within the vertical dispersion height of the tweeters to enjoy the speakers. I wouldn't say they went super low, because they can't, but they are pretty clean sounding.

More comments:

The one with the black bed liner for a finish uses the Vifa XT25 tweeter which needs a lot of attention paid to the XO. I think I would have liked the Odyssey better if he had less tweeter padding because the Vifa M21 had a nicer bottom to it than the first one.

I have heard that the Vifa XT25 has some problems with distortion when you get in the 2500Hz region and below (this is the tweeter that Jon crossed at 1.25KHz with a very high ordered XO design, the M8's). Ken said he was pushing it with a XO of 2300Hz with his 2nd order series XO for that particular speaker design, which he had help on with a DIY speaker guru, John K.

I'm sure the ScanSpeak 9500 tweeter in that Odyssey speaker would not distort as easily if push hard in the mid 2000Hz region like the Vifa XT25 does.

Also, realize that the room was only okay for preliminary speaker listening. I wouldn't want to make a choice based on what speakers sounded like in that particular room.

What's cool about DIY is that you can "salt" a speaker's response to fit the room it's playing in, for Ken, he's got a large room with open/sloped ceilings, so he "voiced" the speaker to his liking in that particular room. Once we pulled his Odyssey speakers out into the room, the high end returned and made the speaker sound more natural.

There was a few fullrange drivers used in the speakers:

This one used the Jordan XJ-92S driver (sort of expensive, around $170-$210 per pair, and you have to import them from Britain). It's pretty smooth, but the bottom end is lacking (used with a sub, and it's got a good form factor going for it). This speaker won the competition in last year's judged event in Atlanta:

This one is really a 1.5 speaker, it uses a 3" full range speaker for each driver (a Tand Band W3-871S , IIRC), and the bottom driver is used to fill in the baffle step loss in bass (probably around 1000Hz and below due to the small cross sectional area of the box (only 6" wide I think). It sounded okay.

This one is a pair of little PC speakers that Brian Bunge did with some Tand Band 3" drivers as well. I don't know the model of these either (could be the TB W3-879S that I won by default as a going away prize for those who stayed for dinner). Maybe he'll show up and offer some nuggets of info.

These were a pair of Babb drivers. They have huge excursion, can go low, but require a lot of power (due to low sensitivity to drive them properly, Gordon brought in a 400W/ch amp to drive them IIRC). Their high end is a bit iffy, not as great, but they also need a big room to play in. They are $850/pair of drivers from Babb. The box used isn't sturdy enough for high performance (concrete enclosures would be a better choice).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Pat none of those links seems to work for me...though I can get to your homepage ok

Comment

• Patrick Sun
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

The links work for me, launched from that post.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

that's weird they are workign now :?:

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"