X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Soffit sub idea

I've been designing an entertainment center for all the gear and the RPTV. I have an existing soffit along the left side of my room that is 14" high. My idea is to extend the look of the soffit across the front wall and actually build it as a sub enclosure. The finished size would be 14" H x 30" D x 124" long, which would give me ~25 cu ft net volume. Since the 14" height won't allow for the use of 15" drivers, I was thinking of 4-6 12" drivers, sealed. I currently have 2 Tempests in a .6Q sealed alignment and need more (thanks to LOTR). Some initial candidates for drivers are Shiva, Stryke AV12, Dayton Titanic MKII. A LT could be applied to these, as I have one being made. Powering this would be a Carver PX 850 (max 1520 W @ 4 ohm bridged).

6 Titanic MKIIs or 4 Styke AV 12s are looking really good to me, so far. The MKIIs can be had now, but this may take a while so the Stykes are still possible.

Some other thoughts on how to possibly use 15s would be great. I originally thought to somehow mount 15s and fire them into a front facing manifold, but not sure if this will work. They would have to be mounted toward the back if more height is needed.

So....what do you think?

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pete

That's a really clever idea

All the drivers you listed are good. Whichever you decide on make sure it has a carbon fiber reinforced cone. Those are much stiffer that poly or paper. And they can take the pounding you young headbangers will inflict on them :B

You'll need to experiment with the 15"s. There maybe cancelation issues trying to use them with the soffit sub.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

And they can take the pounding you young headbangers will inflict on them
      Listen to who's talking....Mr. 12 Shivas Dancing! :P

Any other contenders for drivers?

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

And they can take the pounding you young headbangers will inflict on them
        Says the kettle to the pot :LOL:

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hey us old geezers just have the drivers, we never turn them up loud

Pete

I'm not sure about other contenders. The DVC 12' would probably be the lowest cost option. Although I'm sure the new Stryke will be a good driver, do you really want/need 4 or more with that much excursion?

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

I want to have some "extra" for a LT, if needed. Also, wiring 4 4 ohm loads works out a little better with my amp.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

Pre-ordered 4 AV12s for the hell of it. Seems like a good buy. We'll see how they work out.

Pete
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Cool it will be interesting to get some hands in info about John's new drivers 8)

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Gotta agree with Thomas, that's a darn clever idea! Sounds like a FUN project Pete. One question: will having the drivers raised and (I think) closer to the audiences' ears cause the listeners to be able to "directionalize" the sounds?

I know that with my Velodyne FSR-15 the sounds are omni-directional when I'm 8 feet or so away, but when I get close, I begin to pick up directional cues. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• PMazz
                    • May 2001

David,
                    I currently use a twin Tempest top firing sub that's mounted to the wall behind and above the RPTV. Having the sub directly between the mains is definitely the way to go, IMO. I really would prefer to continue using 15" drivers, but the height of the soffit dictates using a 12".

Pete
                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• LeeW
                      • Jul 2002

Pete,

Are you going to use the drivers downfiring or facing the front? and who's the lucky one that gets to sleep above the sub?

Lee

Comment

• PMazz
                        • May 2001

These will be front firing. The Tempests are top firing but you know, with movie soundtracks and LFE, nobody's sleeping in this house.

Pete
                        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"