X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerry Hackney
    • Dec 2000

AV-1 First Listen

Hi Guys.
    Well after much delay I finished my daughters AV-1s last night. I was able to set them up in the main listening area down stairs for a brief revue with my system before Laura hustled them up to her bedroom.

My receiver is a Marantz SR96 and I used my Panasonic RV81 as the CD source. I adjusted my subs to balance the little monitors and gave them a quick spin. First off, they are very smooth in the mids, with very little coloration. They compared very well with the sound of my Adire 281s in this area. The voicing is surprisingly similar. The upper end is more laid back than the 281s so they don’t sound as bright. That doesn’t mean they are not accurate at all, just different. Symbols still have the metallic sound that they should. I played a little Jessica Williams / This Side Up and the AV1s proved they could definitely recreate a grand piano. The imaging was good from what I heard. I didn’t have enough time with them to see how it compared with the MTM Adires, but I will.

As with all small monitors they benefit greatly from a sub. However, once Laura had them in her bedroom I was really stunned at how much bass these guys can put out.

Overall, my first impression is very, very good. They need a little more playing time to settle in. I intend to steal them back and listen more this weekend. After I spend some more time with them I’ll post a follow up. I still have to finish some stands for them so that we can get them off of the bar stools. I also plan to post some pic of the finish. I think you’ll be surprised.

KH
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Looking forward to it Kerry

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

Kerry,

I had a feeling you'd like the A/V-1's! I'm currently using mine with my Adire KIT LCC center channel and they mate together surprisingly well. I'll be moving up to a pair of A/V-1+'s within the next month or so. I just gotta get the cabinets veneered and ready to take to the DIY Atlanta event.

Brian

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
        • Dec 2000

Brian, Speeking of DIY Atlanta, are you going to have the Alphas there??? PLEEEEAAAASSSE :?:

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

Kerry,

Well, due to some bartering from a current job I'm working on, I will be receiving 16 of the Neo 8 tweeters. If I can figure out a way to pay for the 18 woofers and the crossovers from Danny then I can attempt to assemble another pair of cabinets before then. If so, just be sure to bring a big truck in case you decide you'd like to take them home!

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

Oh, and your check book!

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
              • Dec 2000

Have you finished the set of 5 you were building for your customer's HT ?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

Kerry,

It's actually 6. The cabinet assembly is done, we just have to apply the finish now. They should be done by the first weekend in October. I'll be out of town the rest of this week attending CEDIA.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"