X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

Temptest Temptation

Here is my dillema. I'm completing the construction of my Sonosub. I have cut the endcaps, made the base, cut the port hole, bought the port(flared) and hardware except the driver. My design is based on the Shiva 12" subwoofer. The following are the results from ISPcad

Port(D): 4"
    Port(L): 17"
    Tuned: 16.9 Htz

Sonotube(ID): 18"
    Sonotube(L): 39"

Someone recently put a bug in my ear to get the 15" Temptest. Here are a few questions.

1. Can I use existing supplies to build a sub w/ a temptest? If so, how.

2. Should I scrap the sonotube and build a box?

Any and all ideas are welcome (within reason);

Thanks - Eduardo

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There's no reason to scrap the sonotube so I'd keep that. The single flared port though is a concern even for the shiva unless you aren't planning on running much power into this sub. My first real sub was a 107 liter shiva sub with a single flared 4" port and although decent it definatly needed more porting. Since you've already cut one of the port holes going with a large diameter might be difficult but there should be room to add at least one more flared 4" on the top plate beside the other port.

As for the tempest bug I wonder where that came from Given that the tempest moves nearly twice the air the shiva does for an extra $30 its well worth looking at if you can provide it a large enough box. Are you limited for height with this tube?

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

The single flared port though is a concern even for the shiva unless you aren't planning on running much power into this sub.
      I already have the PE250 Amp to power my subwoofer how does that rate for power?

My first real sub was a 107 liter shiva sub with a single flared 4" port and although decent it definatly needed more porting
      What was the length of the Port?

With my design, ISPcad calculates airspeed from the port to be under 15 m/s.

there should be room to add at least one more flared 4" on the top plate beside the other port.
      I won't be able to add an additional port becuase I am using hardwood dowels for internal bracking.

Are you limited for height with this tube?
      I am limited to the size becuase the tube has been cut to size. Maybe when I finish this sub I can sell it and upgrade to a temptest with a traditional box design.

I guess I have answered my question. Unless I scrap the current design I will be using the Shiva.

Thanks for all your input.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"