X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMT
    • Aug 2000

ETF vs. TrueRTA

Can any of you compare and contrast these two programs? What is the difference between the MLS measurements done by ETF and the pink-noise based RTA measurements done by TrueRTA? What reasons would there be for selecting one program over the other? Are there types of measurements that might make one lean more toward one program over the other? Would either one be better suited to improving either a two-channel stereo or 5.1/7.1 channel HT system setup?

Ellen
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

Ellen,

You always catch me off guard with your "EMT" username here! I'm also interested in a response to this question. I hope that Jon or Thomas can give us an answer that we can actually understand.

BTW, you gonna build that jig for justLMS for me?

Brian

P.S. I got the LCC finished yesterday! It was fun getting it on top of the TV!

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Ellen, Hi Brian.

Jon's in England for the next 10 days and doesn't have 'net' access so I'll attempt to give you a reasonable answer. I have both of these programs.......

TrueRTA is a very nice plug-n-play program that provides 1/3, 1/6... 1/24th octave readings made in real time made with pink noise. It's impossible to isolate the speaker from the room unless one is making the measurements VERY nearfield.

MLS (Maximium Length Sequence) is where a burst of what is basically 'shaped white noise' is send through the system. And it's playback is captured in a 'window' of time, the duration of which is specified by the user. The reason for doing this is to eliminate the interaction between the speaker and the room. If the window duration is short then the mid/ high frequencies are accurate, but the bass isn't. If the window duration is longer then the bass is more accurate but the mid/high frequencies aren't.

When I say 'not accurate' in the above paragraph I'm talking about having the room interactions eliminated. If one want's the interactions then just use a longer duration window.

ETF does more things such as MLS, waterfall plots, impluse response, etc.. It doesn't work in 'real time' but neither do any MLS programs. Jon doesn't like ETF because the plot divisions are in multiples of '2' and can't be changed. So 20Hz, 200Hz, 2000Hz, etc. To him that makes it weird to try and figure out the frequencies between those indicators. The standard is divisions of '10', so 10Hz, 100Hz, 1000Hz, etc. Other than that ergonomic complaint Jon thinks ETF is a good buy. He's just been spoiled by using Clio.

So if you want a more comprehensive loudspeaker measurement/evaluation system then use ETF. If you want a quick and easy look at the speakers and their interaction with the room use TrueRTA.

I hope this makes sense. It's much easier to show this to some one than try to explain via the 'net'

BTW, both offer a demo versions. The TrueRTA demo is of course only 1/3rd octave. The ETF demo doesn't allow saving of data. I suggest trying the demos to see which program is more appropriate to your needs/wants.

Those people having LspCAD can play with the free 'JustMLS' program available to users.

There is a fundamental issue with using any of these programs, and that is where the measurement is taken. Move 12" or so away from the measurement position and the room interactions (and corresponding measurements) will of course change.

I can't specifically address the multichannel question. I've never bothered to 'calibrate' my system. I set the output evels by ear and frequently make running changes while the movies are playing (makes watching movies an interactive experience ).

Hope this helps
      Thomas

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• EMT
        • Aug 2000

Thanks for your reply Thomas. It sounds like TrueRTA is more what I'm looking for: something to help set up my speakers better in my room. I have downloaded the demo version but haven't played with it much. I'll have to download ETF too. Wonder if John Murphy would consider adding MLS measurment stuff to TrueRTA if enough ppl harassed - whoops, I mean asked - him about it.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Ellen

ETF has a great 'help' section. I recommend printing it for reference. Also 'the demo room' section of the ETF website is quite helpful.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

I can speak with some authority as to Ellen's harrassment abilities!

Brian

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"