X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Sub design perimeters

I'm going to build a Isobarik-push/pull design. Using 2 tempest drivers. The applicable specs off Adire's web page are as follows: Qtc .38, Fs 19hz, Vas 317L = 11.2 cu.ft.
    Thomas you had mentioned a Qtc of .5 as a good starting place for high quality bass, so that's where I started, then after doing some calculations (assuming Fc = 25) I came up with an F3 of 27.8hz, and a Vb of 15.3 cu.ft.
    The F3 is alittle high for a pure sub...I do want it to pack a punch down low, so I tried a Qtc of .707
    Assuming Fc = 35.4, my new F3 is 17.7hz...does this seem right? and my Vb drops to 4.6 cu.ft.??? NO way I must be doing something wrong...the only thing I can figure is my Vas conversion is wrong. I'm assuming I was supposed to convert Liters to cubic feet?
    The only other reasoning I can come up with is that .707 is a "universal code"...think about it .707 is also the RMS point of a sign wave! :B and it seems that number has come up in other math related items that I've studied, but none come to mind right now...maybe not.
    Anyway assuring my F3 calc's are right, is .707 a good option for tight-well defined bass down to approx 20hz?

AND...is that Vb right???
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Kenny

What design program are you using? It's important that the program be able to model an isobaric design and that the parameters be entered correctally.

Remember the Vas drops by 50% when using as isobaric design. So for the software program the Vas, you need to enter 159L or approx 5.6 cu ft not 10.12

Also you are making some assumptions that don't work for a sealed system. They roll off at a fixed rate, 12db/octave, so you have little control over the the F3

Also Fc is the resonant frequency of a sealed system. Normally this isn't used as a variable when calculating a design.

A "Q" of 0.5 is considered critically damped for a sealed system.

Now I haven't updated the T/S parameters to the newer ones on the Adire site. My program still is using the the prototype ones. So there will be a small difference in the plots.

BassBox Pro models the following isobaric for two Tempests (prototype Tempest parameters)
    Qtc 0.5, Vb 2.575 cu ft, F3 46.57Hz

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Kenny, I am impressed! So much so, we might just require all the moderators to do this, hehe.

Goodluck on your ambitious project!

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Kenny

Later today when I get some spare time, I'll update the Tempest T/S parameters in my program. Then I'll run the special "optimize" function in BB PRo and see what it recommends for the best performance.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I agree Lex all moderators should be required to own a Sonosub ...or at least a DIY sub

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Thomas, I'm not using a program, I'm trying to do this by hand using "the loudspeaker design cookbook", your right I forgot to cut my Vas in half. This book says that Fc is a design perimeter, and Fc changes with each different Qtc. (Qtc x Fs)divided by Qts = Fc
            Damn, 46.75hz is awfully high for F3...don't you think? At 25hz how much of a roll-off would I be looking at, 10 to 12db? Man that's alot!
            Will a Qtc of .707 bring this down? (it is the magic universal code you know :W )

Thomas, if "a"= (Qtc divided by Qts)squared -1...exactly what is "a"(alpha)??? is this total system dampening?

P.S. Lex your easily impressed. :W at this point I can't even get my math right. :?

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Kenny, if you were going to carry 120 pounds cross country, would you:

A. Carry it on your back.
              B. Make your wife carry it, if your married. (Neighbor's wife works equally well)
              C. If no one helps get a Mule.

I think pick C. get a mule. (Software design tool)

How's that for an analogy? Ok, enough, I am off to the golf course.

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Kenny

Let's get up to date. You'll go nuts, and you'll drive me nuts trying to do this by "hand". So put away that slide rule And download WinISD from here.
                WinISD is freeware speaker designing software for Windows environment. You can design Closed, Vented and Bandpass boxes with this program. It also allows you to calculate few different types of filters. NOTE! WinISD is still in betaversion, so please be patient with errors that may occur. Most helpfull would be if you would report them […]

It's free, it's not a demo, and it's pretty accurate.

Alpha, that's what comes before beta :B

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

Lex, sometimes it's good to get that exercise yourself!!! It's good for the brain, and easy to do...once you understand it all...that's my problem, I don't understand it. Doing the math manually helps me see how all the "parts" fit together.
                  Plus Thomas is always here to help when we falter. :W
                  I gotta go watch my crappy football team, and do math!

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Kenny

"Drop that slide rule buddy, and hands against the wall."

I really don't remember the "math" I've been using software design tools since 1984!!! That's why I bought a computer.

Get the program, and use it against the "formula's". To start, you'll need to make a driver base and add the Tempest T/S data.

The Dickason book is overly complicated and not all that accurate with regard to some of his design assumptions. You can ask Dan Wiggins and the boys at Adire, if you don't believe me about Vance!

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• KennyG
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2000

Thomas, O.K. you win, I Put the Calculator away!
                      Thanks for the site above, I'll try it again tomorrow, for some reason I can't get past the home page, everything just seems to be locked up.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Kenny

You've got mail, and it's a pretty big file :B

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• KennyG
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2000

Maybe all these troubles I'm having are on my end, I just checked my mail but nothing has come in.
                          This has been a frustrating day all the way around. Gee's never mind I just checked my mail again and there it was! Thanks alot Thomas

Comment

• KennyG
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2000

Thomas is PE the same as Pmax???

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Pe is the maximum electrical power that a driver can handle before it is damaged, meaning the VC burns out. I'm not familiar with Pmax, but yes it's probably means the same thing. Again this isn't necessary for cabinet design

theAudioWorx
                              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• KennyG
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2000

Very nice program! but alas, to get the type of response I want I must join the masses and build a vented sub. but I can still build it Isobarik-push/pull...it looks to me like something in the 185 liter Vb, tuned to about 19.5hz is the way to go. It's basically flat to 21hz with an F3 at 18.2hz
                                What do you guys think? Seem about right?

One last gasp for the sealed enclosure, it there an electronic EQing system I can buy to flatten out the response???

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"